1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Moisture prob w/ Crown pwr amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nojj, Oct 22, 2013.

1. nojj

nojj Guest

May 20, 2013
    I can't play rubber ducky with it anymore..........

No, but seriously, I pulled my main rig from the storage shed, took it to an outdoor gig.
    It sounded all fuzzy n stuff for about half of the 1st set. Then it sounded fine.
    Shut it down between sets, and it did the same thing (not as bad) for a couple songs.
    3rd set I'd left the amp powered up during break, and there was no problems.
    Sounded exactly like battery fade on an active bass.
    (I changed those fellas first thing)

The particulars: no P bass, no tort
    amp is a CE1000, racked & kept in a storage shed when not in use.
    (Along with the rest of my road gear)
    Only seems to happen when it's been rainy or unusually humid for a couple days.☂
    Problem always clears up after it runs for a while.
    It usually drives 2) 8Ω cabs, rarely bridge.

Anybody know any treatments to keep the moisture from vulnerable components?
    Any advice other than replacing the amp (or using flatwounds?)

I'd hate to have to haul the freakin' thing up/down my steps to the house,
    but that may be the only option till I can afford a suitable replacement.

2. funnyfingers

funnyfingers

Nov 27, 2005
    You can get silica gel packets from ebay.

3. P Town

P Town

Dec 7, 2011
    Store it in a closed rack, or some other sealed plastic waterproof container, or wrap it in a thick plastic bag, and put it in a cardboard box. Put a large desiccant pack in with it to ensure dryness. Condensation will occur when something cold is moved to a warm environment, and moisture from the air condenses on the cold surface. When moving it under those conditions, let it reach ambient temp before opening the transport container, and powering it up.