1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mojo Hand Wonder Filter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt Dean, Oct 18, 2016.

1. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2016
    Bo0tsy, FilterFunk and DreadRaver like this.
  2. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE!

Mar 31, 2010
    Very interesting feature set. I wonder if "Gain" is true gain like on the original Mu-Tron III, and not just sensitivity.

From the description on the product page, I found this interesting:
    "...in addition to the Band Pass, High Pass and Low Pass settings, we have added a Notch Filter as well as a No Filter setting offering preamp stand-alone boost capability."

I also wonder if "Boost" is boost only, or will it allow you to achieve unity gain, whether that means reducing or increasing volume. I hope it's volume control instead of just boost, since many envelope filters (especially the aggressive ones, which are usually my favorites) boost signal anyway.

Bo0tsy likes this.
  3. Matt Dean

Matt Dean Supporting Member

Jan 2, 2007
    SF (North) Bay Area
    Here is a run down of the controls from last summer's NAMM.

Bo0tsy and FilterFunk like this.
  4. DreadRaver

DreadRaver

Nov 19, 2008
    Associate of Cusack Music / Mojo Hand FX
    The gain control adjusts both sensitivity of the envelope as well as the level of the signal going into the filter circuit, so in essence it does both of what you are asking here.

The Boost is not a volume control, it is a post-filter boost of the signal coming out of the effect, so when used in conjunction with the gain control, it should allow you to achieve unity gain. Getting a unity gain will depend on your gain setting, though, as we do have a lot of headroom on the gain control such that it can allow you to overdrive the filter.

Eric!, TerribleLiar23 and FilterFunk like this.
  5. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    Excellent. Thanks for the quick response and helpful info!

I really like the fact that the pedal has some drive to it. I dig a mean-sounding filter!

6. Love to hear some bass demos. I like the 70's Mutronesque retro look of the pedal.

FilterFunk likes this.
  7. DreadRaver

DreadRaver

Nov 19, 2008
    Associate of Cusack Music / Mojo Hand FX
    We do have a demo of the Wonder Filter on Bass:

Bo0tsy likes this.
  8. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    I wish it had an expression control for cutoff frequency ala the newer Wonderloves. Sounds good!

9. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
  10. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    I'm hoping this is a true alternative to the original Mu-Tron III or the Beigel Tru-Tron 3x, which are both way out of my price range. I've had enough of envelope filters which may be very good, but suffer from trying too hard to be just right, "can't make a bad sound" pedals. Give me an envelope filter with plenty of range and grit, and I'll decide what's far enough!

Grahams Groove and DreadRaver like this.
  11. Anyone here on TB get their hands on one of these?

12. Shadowkast

Shadowkast

Aug 20, 2016
    The Dreadfort
    Bow chicka bump bump. Would love to hear from an owner.

13. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    dinoadventures gives his thoughts in posts#116 and #118 of this thread:

Ultimate Mu-Tron?

Shadowkast likes this.
  14. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Very curious about some more feedback!

The ATTACK knob works in conjunction with the GAIN knob allowing you to set your gain into the pedal and then fine-tune the attack.

15. Eric!

Eric! Commercial User

Jan 22, 2009
    America's High-Five
    Mojo Hand FX
    Demo up. TalkBass gets first looks:

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
    DirtyDuke, FilterFunk and e-flat like this.
  16. FilterFunk

Mar 31, 2010
    I was lucky enough to get one of these barely used on eBay for just over $100. Here are my impressions:

It does the classic up and down sweeps very well, but not as well as my favorite envelope filters. Where it truly shines is with the sweep toggle in Up position, the Gain knob around 3:00, and the Attack knob around 9:00 (the Gain and Attack controls are VERY interactive). For some reason, this setting sounds like an up/down hybrid sweep - better and more natural than any up/down sweep pedal combo I've ever tried, and I've tried a ton of combinations with excellent results. This setting alone is worth the price. I kept hearing what sounded like a down sweep in the demos, even though the toggle was in Up mode. I don't know how the Wonder Filter does it, but I love it!

It's also great to have the Boost control for unity gain, and the Mix is effective, although I personally prefer a nice, fat low pass, which the Wonder Filter does quite well. I was hoping that the Notch and 0 Filter modes would provide some tone-shaping magic (or "mojo"), because I love using filters as tone shapers, but I didn't get anything special out of them.

That unique, great-sounding up/down sweep sound in one pedal makes it a keeper for me.

Shadowkast, Matt Dean and Bo0tsy like this.
  17. Sounds like you got a great deal there! Never come across one of these yet over in the UK.

18. Grahams Groove

Grahams Groove If it feels heavy, it's heavy. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    Boulder, CO
    This times ten. Anytime I read reviews touting a filter's simplicity and lack of knobs as the primary selling point, I struggle to go any further. I want options to tweak and manipulate the filter like crazy.

I actually liked the Aggie FT as a rare example of a well executed filter with limited, fool-proof parameters. That said, I sold it because of those limits. I may settle on one or two go-to sounds with a given filter, but I want to be able to squeeze some weirdness out when I sit down with it.

Shadowkast and FilterFunk like this.