1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MOjO Sonic Speaker Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BurningSkies, Apr 10, 2009.

1. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    Ok everyone, what's the deal with MOJO Sonic Speaker cabinets?

http://www.mojosonic.com/id32.html

Lets hear some new and reviews!

If anyone has played, owns, or gigs with these we'd love to hear some real life experiences. Anecdotal information and tech talk welcome! Of course, if you have rig pictures post them!

They're made by one of TB's own, and we know that can't be bad.

2. subscribed

3. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Vic Serbe just got done reviewing the MOjO Sonic 1x10's, though it looks like that review may be headed to issue #4 (issue #3 should be out next week).

I know that Vic thought very highly of them, and I was able to audition these cabs (one with a tweeter, one without) before sending them on to Vic, and I can tell you from firsthand experience, Kenny makes some great boxes! Very small and light, but with amazing punch and articulation. I'm jonesing to hear some of his larger cabs, as well! :bassist:

Tom.

4. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    I'd love to hear from Kenny himself about these...what makes them different, what's the design philosophy, how are the designed, spec'ed, etc.

5. +1 I just realized this was Kenny's company!

6. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Exactly. I'd like to know what's behind them...there are a lot of great cabs on the market these days, and as a cab-designed by a bassist, I'd like to know why/how these are different.

7. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    It started with my disappointment with some of what I was finding in the market gear that was well thought of big name stuff.

I have a background in high end stereo gear from the heyday as in pre surround sound and such. Some designs really stood out and some of those ideas stayed with me. The original Mini was how that started originally conceived as a way for studio guys to be able to mic a cab that sounded good and was small hence no tweeter in it. Hey it worked!

As I worked with more of the local guys it became evident that there are lots of different needs, a tweeter was added as the urban gospel musicians I worked with needed that , a 2x10 was worked up I had calls for a 12” based cab the 15” came from that. The 410 MAX is double ported and really moves some air. Neo speakers were used right from the start all Eminence as are the crossovers and tweeters. The whole series are designed, parts sourced and built in the USA in a small family run factory even the grills are hand fabricated.

I come up with the initial design and Dane the factory chief engineer works with me to tweek them through the prototype stages. As per my agreement with Dane actual design parameters are between us, but I can say we work to get a lot of clean punch and they are designed to work in a real live mix situation. We just say the rest must be the “Voodoo Dust” we use LOL.

Getting the cabs into the hands of working musicians has been my way of real world testing, the first pair were literally tested live on the stage at BB Kings in Memphis and it was lump in the throat time until that first tune got going.

Last Summer Bud LeCompte and I did the NAMM show together and that kinda got the word out. Bud has a pair of Minis himself. Since then it’s working with more artist and on new stuff. Users include Joe Fick of The Dempseys he uses them on upright bass, Neal Jones of the Eric Gales band, who will be touring this Summer and any number of others.

The newest prototype is a totally sealed 4x10 we call the CV (classic voiced) tight and punchy with a natural low bass roll-off so far it’s working well

:) ... I use a pair of Minis for about 90% of the time on my gigs

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Do you do any one-off custom variations? I understand experimentation is how the line is "grown", but do you do any of those experiments for customers? Like would you make a 2x10 or 2x12 without a tweeter, or with a tweeter shutoff switch, or with a 6" cone instead of a tweeter?

9. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    I can make any cab without a tweeter and do get calls for that.

All existing cabs that use tweeters cross at 3.5k

The new 410cv is tweeter-less only, as there is a divider between each pair of 2x10s and no room.

;) ... I don't do the customer one of boxes though

10. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Even if it were for a really cool TB'er?

;)

11. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    What does your 15 do? Do you have some specs and maybe some visuals that might give us a rough idea of how it performs?

12. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

What are you looking to do?

:eyebrow: ...

13. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I am looking for a small cab that can also double from clean, jazz or acoustic guitar type of stuff. Some tweeters out there sound awful in a guitar register. Anyone try mojosonic with guitar?

PS, i know that no speaker can be all things to all people. I am incredibly cheap and looking to add a small speaker to the rig.

14. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis
    The 15" uses a Eminence 2515 neo

I like the voice of the 2515 and as a stand alone it does old school thump well without being woofy. I really like it best with either the 2x10 on top or with the new 410cv

;) ... We may offer the 3015 as an option?

15. Kenny Allyn

Kenny Allyn

Mar 25, 2006
    Memphis

I have tried the Mini T with acoustic guitar with a Boss RV 5 reverb and my MB LM II and it sounds like many of the new crop of acoustic only amps out there

:) ... Our tweeter is very soft and natural to my ears

16. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I have a pair of Ken's 1x10's without tweeters and they're as good as anything I've played through. It took the drivers a couple of gigs to loosen up, but now they sound great.

I really dug the 1x15 at the NAMM show. The six string bass I brought sounded phenominal through that cab. The driver was very responsive and really tight for a 15". I also liked the 2x12 a lot. I would have loved to have tried the 2x12 sitting on top of the 1x15.

17. Lia_G

Lia_G

Oct 27, 2005
    Hey, Kenny,

Hello from a bit east on I-40 ... ;)

I notice that when I click on 'more info' for the 212 cab, it shows a pic of the 212, but with specs for the 115. Really curious about the 212 ...

Also, any idea when the sealed 410 will be finished up and listed?

Finally, is there anything you can tell us about OPT (optimal port tuning) that isn't "top secret"?

Thanks!
    Liam

18. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Right now I use a Berg HT115 under my 1212 to fill out my lows, and actually in single cab situations, the Berg is nice, because it's balanced. But it really has a more modern less full low end.

It would be nice to have a fairly portable 15 that could take care of the bottom with a bit more authority to use under the Berg or under the 1212 depending.

Most of the 'traditional' 15's are just too big or too heavy for me to want to move too much (second floor practice room, second floor apartment, etc).

Now I know that light/small/low/loud don't happen in nature but I'd be happy with something that had a few of those attributions. Without being a 15 that sounds like a 12.

19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Hi Kenny,
    Can you do a 2x15 cab. (4 ohms)
    Something like 32"Hx18"Wx15"D.
    A old school stand alone cab.

20. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Color me disappointed and unimpressed with a bunch of speakers in tiny boxes with no mid drivers :( They look nice, but what makes them different than the other speakers-in-a-box companies?

Sorry if that comes off as confrontational, I just don't get what's special.

To be even more confrontational, do you really claim your 1x10 @ 250 watts is going to put out 128db from 48hz to 14khz or is that just the standard marketing hoohah?

Because two KL 3015LFs taking 900 watts put around 130db out, so I am kind of dubious as to that claim.