1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mojo'ed neck MIJ '57 Reissue Project Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Standalone, Feb 17, 2008.

1. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Check out what I just finished! '80's MIJ Reissue one piece maple neck, SX Body (fotoflame/alder), Gotoh (201?), Orange drop, SD QP'ers, Allparts pots, Orange Drop, Allparts BWB pg.

I bought some neck screws here, but they were quite cheap, so I used ones from the hardware store. They don't have the nice rounded tops, but felt 100% stronger to me.

PBasses2008020.

PBasses2008019.

PBasses2008018.

PBasses2008016.

PBasses2008009.

PBasses2008006.

PBasses2008003.

Check out the cigarette burn. I thought I was the coolest 15 year old on the planet...

The neck has some nice worn in smoothness along the edges. Were these nitro?

I took the body to a shop to have it stripped back then, too. Never picked it up. Ahh youth. Somewhere in my parents house are the rest of the bits... sigh.

2. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    The 'gold' pg screws are from Lowe's, too! I grabbed them to save myself the 7 bucks for now, but the look is growing on me.

3. fremenblue

fremenblue

Jan 8, 2003
    Eugene, Or.
    Nicely done. . .:bassist:

4. I've thought about doing some similar for a while now. This turned out gorgeous! Love the foto-flame.

5. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Thanks.

I love the Black and Maple P's, and the fotoflame in person is darker than the pictures-- kind of the halfway point between 3ts and black. :D

At first I kind of wanted to turn my nose up at the Foto-flame, but hey, most of the look for none of the price...

6. Groover

Groover

Jun 28, 2005
    Ohio, USA
    Looks really very nice. Those necks are great! (I have one too), but I'm pretty sure they are not nitro.

Good color combo.

How is the neck fit on the body?

7. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Thanks. The neck pocket was taken down a little deeper from stock it looked like... there is the classic matchbox cover in there ;). (It's from Group W Bench in New Haven, an oooold headshop that's been there since back in the day.)

I also had to re-drill the screw holes and dremel-sander in a little along the radiused end of the neck to bring it in enough.

If I keep it long term, I think I will dowel and re-do those holes with my cousin's drill press to really do it right. I wasn't worried about messing with the body too much since I might just find a neat replacement for it at some point.

The Pickguard also needed some filing and sanding at the radiused part to fit. The neck is correctly placed relative to the bridge, as intonation at the 12th fret matches the harmonics.

8. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Whoa nice!

9. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    wow that SX body looks great. Nice neck. I did a j-bass using a Signature body and a blemished All Parts Fender replacement neck. The neck pocket on mine was a little deep as well but does not affect the play ability of it. I also put a used Bad Ass on it it. It's totally franken!

[​IMG]

It is my daughters favorite. She calls it the Blues Clues Bass. For those of you who have toddlers that will make sense.

10. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    That is so epic!

11. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Nice blue jazz, and the little lady in pink is a sweetie!

Wonder what a tort guard would look like on that jazz. [edit- fugheddaboutit- not with that great blocked neck!]

My poor deprived 3 year old has never seen blues clues... no TV in the house... but he knows just about everything a 3 year old can know about music! :bassist:

12. scowboy

scowboy Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2006
    Sacramento area
    My daughter knows quite a lot as well. Her current favorite songs are:

1. I'm So Glad (Cream off of the RAH 2005 Reunion)
    2. You're All I've Got Tonight (Cars)
    3. Anything by John Mayer
    4. Anything off of Rush Snakes and Arrows
    5. The cd by our pastor's daughter.

She is not much into "age appropriate" music.

Also I recently 'quietly' bought a TC Electronic G-Major and she walks into my music room saying "Daddy, thats new". So much for quiet purchases/GAS.

13. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Awesome. She's much more hip than Jimmy my 3 year old. He'll ID Vivaldi Bheethoven Copland and Mozart on the Radio. I'm going to have to get him some Karate lessons before he starts school!