1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mold in my bass!! (I’m a moron)

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by craigie, Dec 24, 2017.

1. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    I bought an old plywood DB a couple of years ago. Actually my friend picked it up for me while I was out of town. It’s been at his house in it’s vinyl case and I guess I wasn’t too enthusiastic about playing this particular bass because I left it there. Now I brought it home and can smell Mold. I cleaned off all of the white spots from the outside and threw away the case. I aired it out outside with a strong fan blowing at the top to try an encourage airflow through the f holes. Now it’s in my garage. I’m quite surprised at this given how dry Calgary is.

I can see lots of splotches on the inside. Any recommendations given that it’s a plywood bass and not worth taking to a luthier to remove the top and scrape it out?

2. Tilex.

bassdude51 likes this.
  3. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    Google

4. Glen20 rescued a very mouldy acoustic guitar my brother was given for free. Polyurethane finish, perfect condition now.

Any of your tinea sprays will also do the trick too, even the vinyl case. Test before using though.

I sprayed eucalyptus oil on a mouldy cloth-covered hard case, it evaporated off & I simply brushed it down. Good as new.

5. craigie

craigie

Nov 11, 2015
    calgary
    My dad will bring up their ozonator they use to zap their trailer in Florida. A goodly dose should do the trick.