1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mold on my Hide Glue

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner [DB]' started by robobass, Nov 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Does this happen to everyone? I don't have a proper glue pot. I keep it in a jar which sits in a water bath. When I'm being fastidious I heat it to near boiling at the end of the job and cap it. If I forget to do this, or don't get a good seal, this happens:

mold.jpg

2. GretschWretch

GretschWretch Supporting Member

Dec 27, 2013
    East Central Alabama
    This is normal, happens to me too. Hide glue is an organic substance. Happens with cheese as well, but cheese is a terrible adhesive.

Chris Fitzgerald and DLemos like this.
  3. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    put jar in fridge at end of day.

high clarity glue is less prone to this but it will happen if you leave it out, even covered.

your picture is not "overnight mold" ... must be several days out at room temp.

4. Agar, the jellylike substrate used to grow bacterial cultures in Petri dishes, is basically vegetarian gelatin which ain’t much different than hide glue.

This makes hide glue an ideal medium to grow mold.

I cap my glue jar when I’m not actively doing glue-up, store it in the fridge over the short term and freeze it for long term storage. No ill effects to report.

5. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    OK then. Yes, I only use HHG occasionally.

6. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    "...and SLIME in the ice machine!"

Sorry, Marvin Zindler reference there for old farts that have lived in Houston.

7. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    My kids have a product called Slime. Haven't tried it as an adhesive.

DLemos likes this.
  8. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    The freezer works great, but if you'll be using the glue regularly, you can also try this. While the glue is still hot but you are finished using it, take your brush and paint a layer of glue around the surface of the jar and then put the lid on. If you painted a thick enough layer of glue to seal the jar, the result will be just like canning vegetables, food, jam, et cetera- the jar will have a slight vacuum seal and the mold will stay away for a week or two. The only catch is that you'll need to heat up the jar again to open it.

RSBBass likes this.
  9. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Good tip. I try to close the jar with the glue really hot, but don't always get a good seal. Hadn't thought to glue it!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 22, 2021