Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mold removal

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by VJP, Aug 25, 2005.


  1. VJP

    VJP Supporting Member

    Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    We have a front porch on our house made from Trex (composite wood and plastic material). It's starting to get this green looking stuff growing on it which I can only guess is mold. I did a little research on a mold site, and they recommend a pressure washer with at least 2400 psi and some specific detergents to remove it. The Trex website however, says not to use a pressure washer with more than 1500 psi and at a range of 10 feet or greater on there product.

    I was wondering if anyone had any mold removal experience.

    Thanks guys.
     
  2. I would go with the manufacturer site recommendations, using the appropriate cleaning agents. The higher pressure may damage the material.

    Good luck.
     
  3. baba

    baba Supporting Member

    Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    If it's green it's probably not mold. Green usually means clorophyll which means plant. It's probably more of a algae like moss thing (yes, that's its scientific name) that's harmless but looks bad. Power spray that biotch per the manufacturers direction.
     
  4. VJP

    VJP Supporting Member

    Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    It's definately green. My wife has a lot of potted plants in the area, and they are watered quite often. Thanks for the info.
     
  5. baba

    baba Supporting Member

    Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Yeah, I get it on my back deck even without the watering. It's just the humidity here and the right light and substrate I guess.
     
  6. DigMe

    DigMe

    Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, just going from my my own experience with mold (bread and buns and the like) I'd say to just toss your porch in the trash and buy a new one.

    brad cook
     
  7. Johnny Fila

    Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

    Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    Trex is highly susceptible to mold and algae and the like. Especially in the MidAtlantic/Northeast for some reason ( I read it in one of the construction magazines I subscribe to).
    Do you have a lot of maple trees by you?
     
  8. VJP

    VJP Supporting Member

    Jun 25, 2001
    NJ

    Yeah, lots of trees ( don't know if there maple, though). Terribly hot & humid in the Northeast this summer. I hoping it's algae, like baba said. Should be a pain free clean up, unlike mold.
     
  9. Johnny Fila

    Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

    Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    just be careful with the powerwasher. let the cleaner settle in good and start to remove the stuff before you hit with the PW. Trex will shred if the pressure is too high. You might also be able to use a water broom attachment which will allow you to use heavier pressure but more fanned out so that the pressure isnt concentrated.
     
  10. Johnny Fila

    Johnny Fila Formerly "The Crusader"

    Nov 21, 2004
    Elmont, NY (near NYC)
    could be al lot of pollen to which sticks to everything like mad and doesnt come off unless washed and there hasn't been a whole lot of rain around our parts this summer.