Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Molded case for P-bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Aug 2, 2005.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Are there any "non brand specific" (not Fender ie..) molded cases specifically for Precisions?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    SKB makes one, fits a Precision very well. Other than that, nothing I'm sure of.

3. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Thanks. I looked into it and it looks nice. Do you have any personal experience with it? I looked into the Rhondo too (thanks GoLow), it's cheaper, but it looks cheaper too.

4. don't blow big on the bass and cheap out on the case....

TKL makes a decent one...if they still be in bizness.

5. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI
    I have a molded SKB on for my jazz, it is really really nice. But it has a weird smell to it

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Forgot TKL made molded cases. I have one of those too, for My Marcus Miller Jazz.

The TKL and the SKB cases are both great. SKB makes them for Music Man to give you an idea of their quality.

7. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Like a plastic or chemical smell? Is it not one of those "ah..." bass smells, but one of those "***.." smells? :)

Mon - My basses never even leave the house in hardshell cases because I can't carry them myself (I use a gig bag), but still I feel better with the protection so I couldn't imagine skimping out.

8. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    skb has two that will fit one freedom and one standard. i have a freedom case. its not as tight as the original fender case, but what is?

9. Eh, I was only kidding...just don't like the look of the rondo cases is all.

10. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, it makes sense to get a quality case if you spend alot for your gear and don't want it damaged.

Yea the Rhondo looks...eh, I don't know...not good :)

I'm going to go with the SKB SKB-44. I found it for $100 (give or take 3 or 4 bucks) at Music123. Is there any other place online that is reputable that may have it cheaper?

11. Sutton

Sutton

Mar 3, 2005
    Plainwell, MI

Its one of those, smell it at first, and it smells funky, but then you get addited to it. Its sort of minty. I had a contest, and no one could figure out the smell.

12. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I think the SKBs are a lot better than many of the "nicer" cases that come with a lot of instruments. Its form fitted, TOUGH as nails, nice plush interior, and it SEALS really well to protect your bass from water.

How many of your band mates drink beer? ........ exactly ;)

13. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    If you're talking about the invisible guys I jam with...only one, but we're getting him help :p

14. fourstringdrums

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    You don't have a mint green pickguard on your bass do you? That could be the source :)

15. pommes

pommes

Jun 13, 2005
    Germany
    +1
    I can totally agree