Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moldy musicman

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Davidoc, Aug 17, 2002.

1. I've had my Musicman Stingray5 for about 4 months, and there's clearly mold growing under every fret!

The fretboard is maple.

Will the mold corrode the wood and metal and loosen the frets? Should I worry about this? What causes this? I always keep my bass in its case when not playing it.

Thanks!

2. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002
    USA
    mold+wood= bad.... clean it... some how... it will mess it up.

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Why do you think it's mold? Describe what you're seeing. What does it smell like?

4. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    it shouldnt be mould, its probably dirt.
    If you remove it (i remove dirt at fret edges with a cred card to avoid scratches) and theres no sign of eaten or damaged wood, its definately just dirt. It accumulates alot faster than you think.

5. is your environment (sp?) moisty, humid, warm, blah ??

6. It isn't mold but rather a reaction to your body chemistry taking place under the frets. I'll make the bold prediction that it is green?. I have had this problem with maple necks before, in fact any base metal or metals with nickel in them get corroded with my sweat and body oils.

My suggestion is to first get a toothbrush with some fretboard cleaner and go at the trouble spots. After you've cleaned it, you really need to change your habits after you've played the instrument. Wipe down the fretboard with alcohol after playing, paying particular attention to the corners where the frets meet the neck. Really get in there and wipe out the accumulated gunk. Do this religiously and it should clear up or, at least, slow the problem.

7. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    He's right. Green happens even when its not mold, but just discolored dirt, sweat, oil and other junk from your repulsively filthy hands. Dude, 2 words - Dial© Soap.

8. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Some people's sweat is more corrosive than others.