1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

mom needing info...2 choices

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by bassplayersmom, Aug 16, 2012.

1. I am looking for opinions on Chinese made DBs. I can get my son a plywood one called Christopher khor k61 for $1050 or a no name carved wood that Steve in Mobile Al vouches for same price. Steve is a khor distributor. I learned about from other posts here. Steve's is 2 years old and he says it
    Has a nice warm sound. I don't know much really so I am going in blind all help is appreciated. Thank you

2. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    There are a wealth of luthiers in Tennessee. The advice you'll hear on here is to go to a reputable bass shop, and talk to them.

Here is a list, just check under 'Tennessee': http://www.gollihurmusic.com/luthiers.cfm

The Christopher's can be nice, but need to be set up first. I would NOT buy a 'carved' bass for $1050 because it will be trash. A good starting bass will probably run you $1,500. Again, phone some of the shops on the Tennessee list on the website I provided you and ask them what they can offer you.

EDIT: Also, your son WILL need a double bass teacher. There is no way around this. If you want to prevent injury, bad habits, and a good education, get him a reputable double bass teacher!

DOUBLE EDIT: Williams Fine Violins in Nashville does rentals. I think this would be more suitable as the double bass is a hard instrument to start learning, and if he decides he doesn't like it anymore, this will save you money.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    It's a good idea to read this as well. :)

4. I have a Kohr K61, my first DB which I bought new in 2005 from a shop in Birmingham, set up by the luthier there. I have since bought a carved bass, but the Kohr is so good, I can't part with it. It is lightweight, but the construction is very solid. All ebony fittings. The finish is sprayed on and shiny, not my taste, but others have commented on how good it looks. It's very easy to play; is evenly loud in all registers, has a 40 5/8 string length, which is short for a 3/4 size bass, but so are my fingers. I have had no problems with it at all. The lowest price I have seen one for is $950, so the asking price is not bad. They are distributed by Howard Core Company in Anniston Alabama, which has distributors all over. The current model of this bass is the K61G (for Gamba). their MSRP is $2,150 for a new one, but no one pays close to that. As others have said, the overall integrity of the instrument and a good setup are very important. Take a teacher or seasoned player with you when you try it out.

5. You might want to check out this link:
    http://www.talkbass.com/wiki/index.php/Beginner's_Guide_to_buying_a_Double_Bass

If you can get a teacher or experienced player to check out the particular bass you are thinking of, than you should. Other than that, I would also recommend looking for a used Samuel Shen. Maybe an SB100.
    It's a step above the bottom level and they are consistently good instruments.

Otherwise Chistopher is a definitely reputable.

Good luck,
    Dave

6. Russell Bergum

Russell Bergum Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2006
    Rochester, MN
    Good for you (and your son) for coming here to get advice! He's a lucky boy. Good luck with your purchase.

7. MostlyBass

MostlyBass

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I have a few Christopher basses at the school I teach at. They're ok but needed setups badly! For about $500 more you can get a Shen SB80 that is lightyears ahead of the Christopher. I would wait, save and get a Shen. I wouldn't buy a carved bass until you break the $5000 mark or so.

8. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    I know Milan, TN is quite a drive from where you are, but Wayne is a good and knowledgeable pro who will take care of you.

I just got this email from him the other day;

Wayne Holmes wholmesbassviol@yahoo.com
    Aug 20 (1 day ago)

to Michael, milton, John, Joel.reist, me, benji
    Hello everyone and happy back to school days!

Decided to mark everything at 1/2 off the sales price for the rest of this month-

Shen 80 -normally $1495 are $748

Carved basses that are normally $9000 will be $4500

The offer is to help your students and to help me to make room for new builds and restorations.

Thank you,

Wayne
    Holmes Bass Viol
    731-742-4107

http://holmesbassviol.com/

9. periodical

periodical

Apr 4, 2008
    Newton, MA
    Wow, yea, go get that Shen from Holmes, that is a great price.

10. Lenbytown

Lenbytown

Feb 22, 2010
    Ottawa, Canada
    Thanks for the tip, Bribass. I just closed the deal on a Shen SB80 with Wayne. Couldnt pass on a bargain like that.:hyper:

11. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    For 1050 I would at least look at the carved. He might be an UR Steve Wishcoski.

12. Herbie 80's

Herbie 80's

Dec 15, 2008
    Those don't really exist in these areas. A double bass Steve Wishcoski is at the $10,000-13,000 mark.