Momentary expression pedal - Does this exist?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by dalo, Sep 22, 2016.

1. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I think I'm gonna have to go the custom route, but I need a non-latching momentary foot-switch with a TRS jack to control a CV input.

Basically an on/off expression pedal. Has anyone heard of something like this that's commercially available? I've done a lot of searching and can't find anything...

Thanks in advance!

R Moses likes this.
  2. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Most tap tempo with TRS jacks (Malekko lil buddy might work) will do this. You just have to be sure the wiring matches your CV wiring.

The Moog FS-1 was one that would probably work. Something similar would be a sustain pedal for an electronic keyboard.

3. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks, but the Moog looks to be TS and I can't tell if the Malekko is TS or TRS.
    Keyboard sustain pedals are TS. I found a Korg that is TRS but it didn't work as an expression pedal.

4. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    A bit more information might be useful. Are you wanting to create a momentary change in a control voltage already present or momentarily inject a preset voltage where there is none? Put it another way, what is your existing voltage source?

5. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    This is for the expression input jack on a Keith McMillen 12 step.
    I want to control parameters as on/off. It works when I use a regular expression pedal where down is off and up is on. But I want a momentary switch as opposed to a full expression pedal.

6. SteveCS

SteveCS

Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    So any momentary footswitch wired in series with a fixed/preset resistor will work. You might need two - one for the off condition and one for on. Sounds pretty straightforward to me. You could have an array of switches with different resistors for a selection of expression 'targets'.

7. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, this should be pretty simple.
    I was just hoping that there is already something out there that does this.

8. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    If that KM12-step has a midi-control option, then there are a lot of midi-control pedal options available.
    Not CV, but might get you to where you want to go?

9. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I can do what I want with a regular expression pedal. I just want something smaller/simpler.

10. nbsipics

nbsipics Ours' is the only Reality of Consequence Gold Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2016
    Got it. And midi would be neither smaller nor simpler. Good luck!

11. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    In the manual for the 12 step they link to this:

Strymon Tech Corner #3 – Volume Pedal as an Expression Pedal - Strymon

The Malekko will likely work tho, I have one and will check the wiring in it to be 100% sure, but last check was that it is TRS and makes the connections you want it to, as it works as Tap tempo with my Strymon; which is based on the same technical details that the 12 step is.

Edit: Have you asked tech support for help?

monsterthompson likes this.
  12. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Awesome thanks!

13. dalo

dalo Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm pretty sure the Strymon Tap Favorite does what I want. Thanks everyone!

monsterthompson likes this.
  14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021