1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Momentary mute pedal for instrument - a.la the proco cough drop

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OrangeSun, May 7, 2010.

1. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    hello everyone.

I am wondering if somewhere out there in the wide world of pedals there is a momentary mute pedal. By this I mean, when your pressing down on the pedal it mutes, but the switch is spring loaded so as soon as you pick your foot up it unmutes.

I used to do this as a kid by pulling my cable slightly out of my bass and dropping it back in. There must be a better way.

I have also thought of modding a small spring loaded button on to the bass itself, but a pedal would probably make it more useful keeping my hands free to play.

2. got a soldering iron? it might be worth making one yourself.

3. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    i unfortunately do not have one...I figured that something this simple to build would probably be available somewhere, I guess not?

This could be a great learning project I suppose...I could only afford a cheap iron though, maybe it'll come to that.

4. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Tom Morello, of RATM used to do this by setting one pu at zero volume and one at full, and then flipping the pu selector switch.

Obviously, a lot of basses don't have a pu selector beside volume per pu, but yours might. Also, this way will impede your playing more than a footswitch, but just thought I'd mention it.

There's a pedalbuilder that makes momentary killswitches you describe. his company is called "this1smyne" I think, and his products are relatively cheap, very tiny and look kewl. That's all I know, no experience with them myself. They're website seems to be offline, but googling quickly I saw a facebook, youtubechannel and all sorts of stuff called "this1ismyne". Couldn't be bothered to actually check out what's what, though. Good luck with that.

5. OrangeSun

OrangeSun

Jun 26, 2005
    Boston, MA
    thanks for the company name ill see if i can find what your talking about.

Yea i dont have a pickup selector switch, so that method is out. I actually have a thread going in electronics &pups right now about the possibility of modding a killswitch onto the actual bass. But i think if I'm going to spend money on this i'd much prefer a foot switch version. I know there are more than a few for microphones but they all seem to be expensive for what they do.

6. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    No probs. Good luck. Be sure to spell it correctly, I tried this1ismyne (with the extra i in there) and that didn't get me squat. gl!

7. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I do this with my tuner pedal, well ok not the spring loaded, foot down/up thing, but just step on it and it mutes, step again and it un-mutes. Lots of tuner pedals already do this.

8. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    I don't know if he used to, its possible. But he has killswitches built into hit guitars now.

What OrangeSun is looking for is a killswitch. You can get one put on your bass, either by drilling a small whole into it or I've even seen instructions for a small box that goes on your bass and is removable.

However, a pedal would also be cool. What you're asking for is a momentary switch. That's what the "spring-loaded" switch you mention is called. Its only activated when pressed down, and deactivated when depressed. I'm sure you can ask any pedal builder and they could make one for you. It should be a very simple build.

9. Double Agent

Double Agent

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    ^ This. Korg PitchBlack for me.

10. bigchiefbc

bigchiefbc Supporting Member

Oct 9, 2006
    Rhode Island, USA
    Right, but if the OP wants to do quick, stuttery mutes like Morello, for instance, then that isn't gonna work.

OP - I don't know of any commercial examples, but any home pedal builder could whip this up in a few minutes. Extremely easy build.

11. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    How would you go about making the circuit for this? I fancy a go at it, but am not sure what it would actually consist off

12. [​IMG]

It's really that simple...

13. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    GNASHER1993's soultion is IT! Just tried this using an A/B - shorting the one cord doesn't cause as much(really none) pop as I imagined. A good qualty switch and it will be silent.

14. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    Cheers gnasher ... you always seem to be here to answer questions that I get involved in ... stalker much? :p

15. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    TRUST ME HERE. IM AN EXPERT KILLSWITCHER!

If you are using it for a tremolo kind of effect you want a SPDT Momentary button.

your lead will then go into the pedal and pass through the switch. one wire will go to the output of the pedal, and the other will go to ground. i am 100% confident that if you use a SPST switch with clean bass, it will make a popping noise each and every time you press it.

16. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    What is the difference between the SPDT Momentary button and the SPST Switch?

17. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
  18. BruceBass3901

BruceBass3901

Oct 17, 2009
    Wickham, UK
    Which one should I go for if I'm gunna try this then? Link to a product maybe?

19. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    DOES he want to do that effect? He didnt mention it (I think..?) And, this is just my humble opinion, but how effective would that be on a bass? (the effect not the function of the pedal) Your only going to be able to move your foot so fast, so why not get a volume pedal?

20. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007