Moments when everything just clicks together musically.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jay, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Alright, I got to thinkin' 'bout those special moments where everything just clicks together musically and you get that inspirational feeling running though you and your second body...the bass. Ya'll tell about your favorite moments like this.

Mine would be last Sunday in church (Southern church, no boring preaching here!) and we were playing some pretty fast, upbeat, Southern Gospel/bluesy stuff and the pastor/keyboardist yelled at me to crank it. As I could not crank, I started playing as hard and heavy as I could. Boy, the look on everyone's faces is worth a lifetime. The drummer gave me the most wide-eyed face when I started goin' all out and just layin' down some serious fast grooveness. Of course, him being a drummer, he always has that look, but anywhoo.... It was magical, people just went crazy for it and started dancing around and shouting stuff. I got smiles and claps and whoops and hollers from the congregation even during the song. Wonderful. :D
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That happens sometimes at my church when the assistant pastor gets out the saxaphone for some jazzed up hymns and we really get going. He will look over at me, and next thing I know I am playing stuff that is normally beyond my abilities, and then he takes it to another level, and then the pastor(our pianist) will just go wild.

Man, people just start dancing and shouting, singing, what a time!
  3. I must've been going to the wrong church!
  4. embellisher, can I get tickets at Ticketmaster? Sounds like a lot of fun. Any chance you and your swinging pastors might stop by Vancouver, BC on your next tour? :)
  5. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Woohoo!!!! I'm coming to visit ya'll's church! I wish we had a sax player...sigh....oh well. :(
  6. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    One of my absolute favorite moments was playing at Club Baby Head in Providence Rhode Island about 6 years ago. What made it so special for me was that it was one of my first gigs and Club Baby Head had always hosted some of my favorite bands back then. I'd been there many times to see shows but this was my first time going there to perform.

All I could think of all night was "Damn, I'm playing on the same stage that the Bad Brains have played on." It was very special to me, I don't know how we sounded that night from the audiences stand point but I had the time of my life....must have lost 10 lbs spazzing out. :)

On a side note you guys have me seriously thinking about starting to go to church again.
  7. Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Go for it dude! There's some serious praising, worshipping groove to be had in church. Everybody complimented me for going off and I just told 'em to wait til next Sunday...hehe. :)
  8. JWC,

Just get up there with your bass. The next thing you know, a drummer will materialize, someone will dust off their sax that they haven't played since H.S., and keyboard player will show up, and you have the tightest most consistent gig there is.

We call it ministry. But the feeling of knowing that I gave 300 people a rich worship experience through your playing ... awesome.

9. I mean MY playing.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I wish that we had a drummer. And another keyboard player or 2. We have a Young Chang 6 1/2 foot concert grand, a Hammond organ and a Technics digital piano, but most services we just have piano, bass and acoustic guitar, until Bob pulls out the sax.
  11. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    Kyles Party-he was @ the kit & i was on my jazz. we start playing then for once we got locked in tempo with each & it sounds like i actually know what i was doing :D i still watch that tape & see if i can pick up that line again. man i wish i could learn that line again. That feeling was like "SWEET" no guitarist so i did some stuff i usually won't do so i stay in the right key but it was just me playin a melodic instrument-i gotta get back with that drummer-actually in a way i am but he sold his drums to get a low end Ibanez Guitar [GSA or something] thats all.