Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mommy & Her Marshall Stack

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rickbass, Jul 2, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Below are some quotes from a recent article in the "Wall Street Journal" titled "Mommie Loudest."

"There's a new wave of garage bands featuring Mom on guitar....on drums.....on bass...on lead vocals.

In Westchester County, NY, Housewives on Prozac has recorded 2 live albums and has a song called `Eat Your Damn Spaghetti" (she went to a lot of trouble to make spaghetti and her kids said, `We don't like spagetti.' San Francisco's Placenta, (formerly known as the `Lactators'
    rages against deadbeat dads. Moms even have their own festival: Last month, MotherLode Trio and other bands were showcased at a 3-day arts festival in NY called Mamapalooza.

Judy Davis, 44, who has sons aged 8 and 11, the impetus came during a Memorial Day picnic...while the husbands smoked cigars and talked about sports and the kids ran around in a sugar-induced frenzy...she says she remembers thinking, This can't be all."

Recently, one of these `mommy bands' named the Mydols played with the Launderettes.

There is much more to the article, but suffice to say that doing laundry/driving the kids to soccer/fixing dinner/et al is not what these women want as they approach their older years.

Psychologists say that at a certain point, full-time mothers need more stimulation ."

The Candy Band -

[​IMG]

2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Very cool. I'm 25 years old and even though I'm still a young man in the music game I feel that music is too dominated currently by the young only. Like most people view it as "something you grow out of eventually". Always makes me happy to see people happy and breaking those stereotypes. :bassist:

3. rickbass

Fix - It has to be drag. The article mentioned that while the husbands were doing the garage band thing, the only things that were really options to mom were PTA and chauffering the kids in the van to sports and after-school recitals.

Most of their biggest fans are their kids.

My favorite name of these mom-bands is "The Mydols"......(get it?) They toured with The Launderettes.

Dunkin' Donuts and Steven Van Zandt even sponsored Little Stven's Underground Garage Battle of the Bands where they appeared.

Without such an outlet, I can't help but remind me of one of my favorite songs by the Stones, "Mother's Little Helper" -

""Life’s just much too hard today,
    I hear ev’ry mother say
    The pusuit of happiness just seems a bore
    And if you take more of those, you will get an overdose
    No more running for the shelter of a mother’s little helper
    They just helped you on your way, through your busy dying day"

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I agree. I think that one of them (I won't say which) looks like a man in drag.

5. rickbass

I'm sorry I said something that you misinterpreted. I just was saying that going to PTA meeting, chauffering the kids everywhere, being the laundress, and maid must be a drag for married women.........and that playing in a band could be such a relief.

6. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    this would be my moms song

Stupid son

"My son is stupid
    He plays to loud
    He thinks he is a blues master
    (Guitar solo)
    He eats to much"

That's it

7. rickbass

Get her a Les Paul Deluxe????

8. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada

I wrote that song not her. :)

9. All mom bands are pretty cool. But Kim Gorden of Sonic Youth is a mom, and still looks pretty hot too. :D... speaking of, her daughter is my age... hmmm...

10. Baofu

Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    WA/CA
    MIL- .... no, I won't.

Okay, I'm a bad person.

11. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    How about "The MILFs"?

12. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    My mom rocks harder than your mom.

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    ...how 'bout the "MILTJW's"?

:)

14. Heh.. I joined a new band a few months back and, in trying to think of a name, we got so exasperated that we decided to come up with as many variations on "Milf" as we could. To wit:
    Milfshake
    2% Milf
    Skim Milf
    Chocolate Milf
    Milf & Cookies
    Milf Duds (or maybe Milf Dudes)
    Spilt Milf (first album: "Don't Cry Over Us")
    Land of Milf & Honey
    Condensed Milf
    Milf of Magnesia
    Harvey Milf
    Milfy Way
    Milftoast
    And, everyone's personal favorite: Milf Moustache

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    :D

16. rickbass

Which means we're just groupie sluts!
    :oops:

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Naw, "Mothers I'd Like To Jam With" :D

18. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

This all brings back so many memories. When I was 52 and my youngest son was a senior in high school, I played bass guitar in a Korn/Machine Head/Beastie boys/Biohazard- inspired band. No other women, though. I played with some tough young guys...one high schooler--the others were in college.

It certainly was fun and my son pretended to like the idea, as did my husband, but truth to tell, I'm not sure either one really did embrace the idea of a hard-rockin' mama. Besides the on-stage persona was dramatically different from off- stage. I'm a truly dyed- in- the- wool prude in "real" life.

The young guys got rid of me, though. While I was having surgery they replaced me with another...young guy...and I found out the hard way, showing up to a gig and told not to play.

Anyway, now at 60, would I jump at the chance to play punk music with women in their forties? Maybe I would. Haven't had any invitations, however. I frankly don't know of any such bands in this area. Maybe I should start one myself.

OR, even better, start a band of Condo Camandos in their 70s and 80s. We have issues, too, we'd like to sing about...like age discrimination and being replaced by high schoolers when we have surgery and are recuperating.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ROFLMAO! Man, that is some funny stuff right there. I like 2% Milf.

20. shadeshaman

shadeshaman

Dec 17, 2004
    Did anyone actually check out the music of these bands? Here's a link to my band, as mentioned in the article (We're not from SF, BTW, we're from Oaktown, and we have more on our plate than dead-beat dads) www.placentamusic.com