Monday Night Football Moving to ESPN?!?!?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jokerjkny, Apr 18, 2005.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Well, that's it...I'm going to have to get cable in 2006. Damn you, NFL and damn you, ESPN!

brad cook
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    What's so hard to believe about it?

ABC has had horrible ratings with MNF for the last couple of years. ESPN and ABC are both owned by Disney.

You should know by now that nothing is sacred in TV Land.

I think it's more interesting that NBC is getting the Sunday night games.
  3. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    true BMK,

but dangit, watching monday night on ABC is like a family tradition in my house. and i dont have cable tv, which IMHO, is an incredible waste of money.

still, honestly, it makes no sense to me. MNF must be one of Disney's most lucrative program on ABC, and yet, they move MNF to ESPN, which already their most lucrative network? IMHO, this move'll put ABC further down the hole.
  4. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

What's happening with John Madden? Is he losing his job?
  5. Well, since NBC is going to pick up the Sunday night game, maybe you can just switch nights for your family tradition. Sunday night games are usually pretty comparable to Monday night games in terms of quality. Especially last year where most Sunday night Games were pretty decent, unlike the majority of last year's Monday-nighters.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I haven't had cable for 4 or 5 years but it's getting more attractive with the HDTV. That crisp, widescreen presentation with surround sound is pretty sweet to me, especially for sports.

brad cook
  7. I start to drool when I see sports in high-def...too bad it's far too expensive for me to go for.
  8. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA

the whole futzin' with the rabbit ears / tv antenna / tin foil was part of the mystique! :p

but i guess the move was to move the games into cable / hi def.
  9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

TV is crap, and it ain't worth paying 35 bones a month for
    30 more channels of crap. I paid 30 bucks for an antenna for
    the roof 17 years ago, and that still is about $1.75 a year.
    Closer to what it is worth anyway.

I guess Sunday night will work just fine.

Cab we get Dandy Don Meredith to sing
    'The Party's over, turn out the lights' one more time?
  10. I watch ESPN more than any other channel anyway, so I'm not bothered by it.

So Brad, were you one of the guys emailing Rome about his comments that everyone has ESPN anyways?
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    I don't have cable. I pick up only 3 stations, and NBC is not one of them. That really sucks that I'm going to be forced to get cable to watch the games. Maybe I'll just hit the sportsbars.
  12. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    The games are already available in HD on abc.

According to an article I read they are trying to make the Sunday night game their marquee game now because of the way prime time TV has evolved or something. So basically in 2006 Sunday night football is the new monday night football.

brad cook
  13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Monday Night means '24" at my house. More time to practice.
  14. vegaas

Nov 6, 2001
    Eh, I dont have cable either. Oh well, I will watch the Sunday Night game, after the Simpons and Arrested Development are over.
  15. Perfect-Tommy

Mar 28, 2004
    I doubt it. I'm pretty sure that EA Sports owns his soul by now and as with most deals with the devil go, you always have a job...
  16. jadesmar

Feb 17, 2003
    Ottawa, ON
    Personally, I have very little interest in American Football, but, as a hockey fan, trust me... it could be worse.