Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Monday Night Football to ESPN in 2006

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XIbanez4lifeX, Dec 26, 2005.

1. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA
    ABC no longer has Monday Night Football. It will be strange watching it on ESPN. Hope they take John Madden and Al with them.

If you don't have cable.........you may be out of luck.
    Or you could get cable(maybe thats the plan) make them more $$.

Wierd

Tonight's game..Last Monday night game on ABC

Jets-----------21
    New England---31

First Mon Night Game played in 1970 on ABC

Jets-----------21
    Browns--------31
    Sept. 21, 1970* CLEVELAND 31, N.Y. Jets 21

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2005/12/27/ap/entertainment/mainD8EOC3C00.shtml

2. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I saw that coming mile away... after they cleaned up monday night football by bringing in people who were not drunks it was over... Danis Miller talking football... briliant!

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Do you mean you just learned this? This was news before the season started. The new ESPN MNF team is going to be Al Michaels and Joe Theisman.

4. I think it sucks eggs. MNF has been around longer than me and I grew up glued to ABC every Monday night.

I don't know why, but I'm not sure I'll dig the *new* Monday nights. I've never been a fan of ESPN's Sunday night games, and my asumption is MNF will be similar. :(

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I am excited about the move. I like the Sunday night game anyway, so this is great.

Just wondering.....what is going to be strange about the game on ESPN besides it not being on "free" TV? How much is it really going to affect people who have cable? I think the average fan will not really notice or care.

-Mike

6. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I get HDTV over-the-air, one of the main things I bought my HDTV gear for is sports. On Dish they want to charge $10/month for like 5 more channels than the ones I get and they don't even have what I get for free. That's why it pisses me off. ESPN Sunday games look awful on a 96" screen not in HD.

7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I haven't heard where Madden is going. I know he isn't everyone's favorite, but I love the guy. He (and Michaels) both have class... they know the game, and also know how to point out a mistake without bombarding the athlete/coach/referee with gratuitous insults, a la Cris Collinsworth and others.

On a side note, I was pleasantly surprised that Fox removed Collinsworth from their A team... CC seemed to embody the Fox network's style. Buck and Aikman are so much easier to listen to now that they aren't polluted with CC's hysterics.

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Replacing Madden with Theismann is a downer, for sure. But Theismann is the least objectionable of the current Sunday night trio, so maybe the new MNF won't suck too much.

9. Here's to hoping! :D

10. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Madden is going to NBC which is taking over the Sunday Night broadcast.

Which means Madden has now worked color commentary for each of all four networks.

Frankly I think Madden is over the hill, and should have retired years ago. His "boom" schtick has gotten old, he doesnt' seem as "sharp" into the game, and he makes some not so bright comments. His best broadcasting years are behind him.

Hopefully NBC will do a good job with the Sunday night game, but I'll miss Monday night in HD.

11. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Do you have Comcast near you? The reason I ask is that I have been able to watch ESPN in HD here where I live through my Comcast. We also get the major networks in HD, so I have all my bases covered for watching sports in HD.

I just got my plasma recently, and have only seen a couple games on ESPN HD, but it does rock!

-Mike

12. Philbiker

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I have no interest in paying for HD to get 2 or 3 channels. I don't watch much TV to begin with other than sports and movies, and I can get every network in both the Baltimore and Washington markets OTA perfectly with an antenna.
    I've watched the last two football seasons in HD on all major networks, often getting games from Baltimore that aren't being shown in Washington and vise versa, as well as MLB baseball. I agree HD rocks (My TV isn't even HD - it's ED), and the best possible HD picture is OTA. Cable and Satellite recompress and you lose bandwidth.

13. XIbanez4lifeX

XIbanez4lifeX

Nov 15, 2005
    Ohio,USA
    Some don't like Madden but I think he is the best announcer for football, he can break down plays and show you things that others don't.

He has to be a rich, rich puppy, just the Madden Football Video game makes millions by itself, he also has ACE hardware and tanactin foot powder.

14. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    Any chance that NBC will hire Pat Summerall and re-unite him with Madden? :hyper:

They were my favorite broadcast team.

15. You also think that switching Monday Night Football to ESPN is a plot to get people to switch to cable.

16. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    I said it before and i say it again... the were not drunk enough!

17. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, I thought the Sunday Night lineup was better than MNF or (Fox and CBS combined).

Is the Sunday Night gig staying the same (except for Theisman)?