Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Mondo Magic" - FLIPS ME OUT!!!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by rickbass, Oct 20, 2004.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Flips Me OUT!!!!

Can anyone explain this????

I'm watching "Mondo Magic" on the A&E channel last night.

The guy riffles the deck of cards at equal speed at tells the TV viewer to focus on one card and remember it. It's a regular deck with face cards and numerical cards.

I do so. He does a little razmatazz with the deck and puts a card in his other hand. IT'S THE EXACT CARD I WAS THINKING OF!!!

These guys in a discussion group are stumped, too - http://boards.aetv.com/threaded.jsp?forum=30217&thread=300024659&start=1&sortOrder=revChron

I've seen the internet card tricks and have figured them out.

But does anyone know how a guy does this on taped TV show :confused: ????

Beyond that, I don't know how David Blaine does the levitation trick, either.

2. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    Even though it appears to be at equal speed, he probably stays on one card for slightly longer. I read some article sometime where it basically said that the average persons brain picks up certain cards easier than others, so if he used that to his advantage and placed that "certain" card where it would be shown to the audience then something like 99% of the people will remember that card vs. any of the others.

3. rickbass

vbass - As a clinical psych major in school, I appreciate what you say.

But you need to check this out if you haven't seen it!!!!

4. vbass

vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    If I see the special on, I'll be sure to watch it. I always find it interesting how easy the mind can be "tricked".

5. David Blaine is just doing the Balducci levitation, right? That's a pretty easy illusion. What's cooler is the King Rising levitation. Here's a link: http://www.ellusionist.com/order/king.htm

The Elevator is also a really cool levitation, but then again, it uses a gimmick, whereas the Balducci levitation and the King Rising levitation do not.

6. rickbass

Most cool, geoff......But I'd appreciate how you see it, if it isn't too much of a hassle.

7. do you have a link where we can see the card trick?

8. If you are referring to the King Rising levitation, there is a video clip on the link I posted.

I've found videos of The Elevator levitation on the internet before with a simple Google search. I'll see if I can find you a link.

I hope I understood what you meant correctly.

9. That looks really cool, but I'm too cheap to actually pay 20 bucks for something I probably can't pull off :meh:

10. The Elevator is expensive. ($100)

But the King Rising levitation is all knowledge -- no gimmicks or anything. The only reason you have to pay for it is for the instructional DVD. The King Rising levitation section of the DVD is like 5 minutes long. Pretty easy and fast to explain. :)

11. ovalsonic

ovalsonic Guest

Oct 11, 2004
    Montreal
    here's a card trick: TALK ABOUT MUSIC!!!

12. NOISE!

NOISE!

Jun 20, 2004
    In your mind
    What lives under a bridge and harasses goats? :mad:

13. rickbass

The forum is titled "Off Topic", sport.

AND, IF YOU HAVEN'T FIGURED IT OUT YET (which apparently, you haven't)........... MUSIC ALL ABOUT THE EXPERIENCES IN YOUR LIFE if you ever created something original. :rolleyes:

14. rickbass

DiG - I've seen websites that pick the card you select but they aren't that hard to figure out, especially those don't use a full deck of cards.

I don't feel too stupid..........here's a discussion with others who are mystified about how the hell this guy pulls off the trick - http://boards.aetv.com/threadedout.jsp?forum=30217&thread=300024659

I'm tellin' ya - the levitation things flips me out, too!!!

15. By the way, David Blaine used wires in the version he did on television. Yes, it's really cheap, but he can do other levitations in "real life", he just can't go as high.

16. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    So, is anyone gonna explain the levitation thing or just keep talking about it?

17. Bump, cause I wanna know too :(

18. seriously, someone explain this king thing, i want to do it!

19. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Bah, I knew it. All you 'I know how to do that' people are full of it.

20. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Temper temper :D Thanks for sharing.

:eek: You're almost to 10k posts, SMASH!