Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Money Hungry Shrinks are at it again!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Gabu, Jun 4, 2003.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Look at this article. It seems like if you have any preferences, and are willing to argue about them, then you are sick. I guess that means all teenagers for sure.

Well, Hell. Let's just save the shrinks the trouble and all move into our local asylum right now. :mad:

[​IMG]

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Me too. It seems that these guys are just trying to cover their bases to make sure that we all come in for our pill. :mad:

Down with the freakin' HMOs. I wouldn't usually say this... But in the case of medicine, I am all for Government Regulation. Health Care outfits should not be profit driven.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    So first they subdue teenage creative drive with focus drugs(ritilin...adirol...etc.)

now they wish to distrupt their abilty to question things?

yikes!

that ain't right.

4. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    *shakes head in disbelief*

I guess if you display the symptoms of this "disease" after you pass the age of 17, you're just considered an @sshole.

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yep, but don't worry. I am sure their *******-ectimy in is development right now. After all its probably also a mental illness to be too subdued. Then if you get uppity, they can cure that. Of course they have drugs to handle your drug addictions that result from their previous cures. Then you may suffer from depression, but don't worry! They can fix that. Of course then you can't get sexualy stimulated, but they can fix that too... etc etc... they can fix it all right up until they fix you into an early grave.

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Man I'm sitting on UCSD's campus right now as I read this. What an embarrasment.

They could just change the ad to "do you have a teenager?"

7. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    LOL! Ain't that the truth. It looks to me like they are targetting kids more and more.

There seemed to be a big push to get elementary and high schools all equipped with Psychologists a couple of years ago.

Was that so that they could listen to and guide the kids... or were they scoping out new territory for the Pharmaceutical companies?

I hope that parents are smart enough to let their kids be kids, rather than a convenient rule following zombie.

8. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    The best therapy is geting told to "Shut the f*** up", and then mowing the lawn.

c/o Dennis Learey

That is such a joke. What ever happened to just being a teenager and defying authroty? I sure as hell wouldn't be who I am if I wasn't allowed or able to defy superiors, or any of those other "symptoms" for that matter. I have 5 of those 8 symptoms. Am I crazy? Do I need medicated? No, I need to just be a teen.

Imagine what the world would be like if no one was able to question authority or disagree with superiors...*cough*communism*cough*

9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya, I know a guy who has it.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I refuse to admit this exists.

11. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

Wow...the Leary kids are in Therapy again, but their lawn is immaculate!

12. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    :D:D

13. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Often, people have children when what they really want is pets. Thusly, they begin to train their children to remain quiet, still, unobtrusive, but able to perform tricks on demand to impress guests, friends and family in such a manner that it appears the parents/owners have done an amazing job of raising their child/pet.

It's not growing up if you don't have a childhood.

14. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I haven't seen too many kids like that...in fact I think "often" people don't discipline their kids whatsoever which is why you see so many snotty brats out in public today. I was well disciplined and loved and didn't really exhibit the qualities mentioned in the ad and I was perfectly happy. This topic can obviously expand into much bigger issues but in my opinion it all comes down to extremely poor parenting. Not in the way of thinking of them as "pets" however.

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hence medicating everything that moves. Lack of strong parenting results in that sort of snottiness.

Makes the parenting easier. They want pets, but don't get them, and so, IMHO, you get things like ODD.

16. HAHA!

I thought this thread title said:

Honey I Shrunk The Kids,At it...AGAIN!

:p

17. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Yes...true...I think it's dumb to give it another name besides bad parenting though. ;)

Saying you have a disorder that I am pretty sure doesn't *really* exist is just an excuse.

18. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Precisely.

19. Sorry, I saw the thread title and thought it was another Mike Money appreciation thread ;)

20. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    The perfect cure for that "disease" and I use that term very very loosly, is a backhand across the face