Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

money matters

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lucifer, Dec 15, 2001.

1. lucifer

lucifer Guest

Nov 7, 2001
    Why does everyone i come accross reckon i must be a crappy bassist just cos i dont have the best warwick or fender? i dont have much money, and i reckon the basses i have chose can be used to play a wide range of stuff.
    i have a

6 string aria pro
    custom fender jazz
    yamaha rbx270

all cheap guitars, but they all do what i wanthem todo, and frankly it downright pee's me off when people dismiss me cossa my basses, im only 15. i cant afford all the gear!
    ANYONE AGREE? COME ON GUYS! US POOR PEOPLE SHOULD STAND UP TO THE RICH GUYS!:D

2. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    hold your head up high,
    ignore the ignorant,
    and let your technique and style speak for itself.
    when i was younger, i studied with and played with an amazing drummer (donald "duck" bailey) who had played with jimmy smith, joe henderson, etc. and he played a POS drum set. he didn't care, and nobody who heard him cared either!

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    Those seem like decent basses to me. I'm 43, and the folks I play with don't seem so status-conscious. I occasionally gig my Washburn XS-2 and noone ever says they think it's a cheap bass (it is). I played my JP-90 today with my Dad's band, and they said, "Thanks for coming." Noone said, "Hey, you didn't pay much for that bass, did you?" The people I play with and for are more interested in how the music sounds. Expensive instruments are more for the bassist than the audience. I could use a MIM P or J for everything I do, and it would work fine. I'd like a Roscoe like Funkycarnivore just bought, but more for my own satisfaction than anything else.

On the other hand, I read a post somewhere by a guy who was playing a Mike Lull, and some people in the audience thought it must be a cheap bass, because it didn't say "Fender" on the headstock. Now THAT's a laugh.

4. Sofa King

Sofa King

Aug 20, 2000
    Rowlett, TX
    I've never heard a custom fender jazz refered to as "cheap"? :confused:

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    The people I play with don't give a damn how much the bass cost, they just want a groovin' bassline. They usually say, "Nice sounding bass.", but that doesn't happen until AFTER the gig. Get the point?

6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Chill, kid.

You know how many basses I had when I was 15?

Zero.

Far as I can tell, you having two basses at your age makes you a rich kid.

All of the guys on TalkBass with boutique basses (a group on which I am on the fringe)have one thing in common: We worked hard for our stuff, therefore we deserve to have it. (For my part, I shop smart and only buy when I fing a great deal, although I gotta work for my stuff too). No one here has "reckoned" you're a crappy bassist. The people you meet who are not on TalkBass might have, but not us.

I have a saying:

If you want people to stop thinking you're a bad bassist on account of your gear, show them. Leave the big buck bass guys out of this.

Hope I don't come across as too taciturn. I just finished watching Pulp Fiction.:D

AND I WILL COME WITH GREAT VENGEANCE...

7. I must not be hearing you right! I'm 15 and I have a $300 ibanez and a $350 amp. ONE of your basses cost more than my entire rig! and you say YOUR basses cheap? Try giggin' on a $650 rig for 3 years and re-evaluate your question.:mad:

8. Sorry, I apologise for my enraged rant a moment ago. Please ignore my reply and read Big Wheel's reply agian.

9. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I feel for you man. But the only way I got my basses was due to my Dad working overseas(make a crap-load of extra money for that) and I see him once a year, so he buys me stuff! Heh...

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Don't worry about what other people think of your gear, that is their problem. And like Big Wheel said, it could be worse.

When I was 15, the only bass that I could call my own was a cheapo acoustic guitar that I dug out of the dumpster and pulled the frets out of, and then strung it up with some of that real thick green weedeater line. I had churches that I played bass at, but I had to play their basses, and I couldn't take them home with me. I spent many hours woodshedding on that old converted guitar.

11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    I did read your apology for this reply, but I thought it warranted a response.

Apparently you're not aware that I grew up in Brazil. I had a $100 bass and a $30 amp. Many musicians in Brazil (and in other parts of the world) would be grateful for the $650 worth of gear you own and would do a great job with it.

For a 15 year old, you're doin' better than some guys I know. Hate to sound like a curmudgeon but you have it better than you think. You just don't know it, kiddo.

12. JimM

JimM

Jan 13, 2000
    Northern California
    Never thought I'd say that!

I had the same bass I started with,a used shortneck that cost $18.95,until I was eighteen.By "shortneck"I mean guitar scale(25 in.).
    My first amp was a St.George "Squire",about 15 watts of tube power,used-$99.99.That was in the late sixties.

With that short scale,the low E was barely uaseable.If I had detuned,even to an Eb,it would have been inaudible.

Jamerson once said about gear in a Guitar Player(before BP)interview:That stuff doesn't matter,it's whats in here(points to heart)that matters.I'm going from memory so that's not an exact quote.

To be fair he also said in the same interview:

Re:the P bass:
    "The other basses don't have that sound"

Re:his Labella Strings:
    "I think they're better than the ones fender puts on"

Re:new strings:
    "you'll lose the sound".

I'm not saying you should emulate JJ,but the "heart" comment is a good one whatever type of music you play.As for others being critical of you as a bassist for whatever reason,gear or whatever,thats just the initiation to being a bassist.You have to get thick skinned about that.

13. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    i have a 210 squier and a 145 amp.I think i have good gear for a begginer.Maybe in a year or so I'll get a nice used Fender.

14. Hey Lucifer

I would`nt trip on what others think about your gear(or your playing for that matter).As long as you are doing your best and trying....this means doing what you can with the $$ you have.

For your age bro,I would say you are WAY ahead of the norm.

Keep on keepin` on!

15. SystemofatooL

SystemofatooL

Dec 15, 2001
    Sydney
    im 15
    i got my first bass yesterday, an Ashton AB200
    it cost $250AUD

i'd say that if i met a 15 yr old with 3 basses i'd assume hes a pretty good bass player

16. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    can you believe i have the best bass collection on my town??:

-Fender MIM Jazz
    -Ibanez BTB 406

:)

for real! every band i see here has a crap noname bass or a cheapo yamaha-ibanez-squier stuff...

long live my third world country!

:D

17. Lucifer, the music isn't inside your bass, it's inside you. All you have to do is let it out.

I have a couple of high-end basses but they don't make me sound any better. They might make Victor Wooten sound better, but I can sound just as bad on a boutique bass as I can on an inexpensive one :rolleyes:

I like high-end basses because I like nice things. I've worked my whole life, my youngest (and last) kid moved out of the house six months ago and I can afford something nice these days. It certainly doesn't make me a better bassist, it just means I have prettier toys to play with than some people do.

When I was 15 I had an old Univox beatle bass - it was probably the worst piece o' crap bass on the planet (I'm just amazed at what they sell for now - I wish I still had it) and played through my Dad's old Fender amp. Maybe it's part of paying your dues - I know if my kid wanted to play bass I wouldn't run out and buy him a Sadowsky tomorrow - I don't think he's appreciate what he had.

I've raised three kids and know it isn't too hard for a young person to come up with a few bucks a week to put away to buy something that's really important to them. If you can stash ten bucks a week by this time next year that MIA Fender on eBay can be yours - if you can put away $20 a week you can have it in six months. It's all a matter of setting priorities. Sometimes it's more important to hang out with friends or chase girls and there's nothing wrong with that - as long as you're honest about what your priorities are.

And - there's always upgrading your current hardware. It's not hard to find a great set of pickups for $100 or so, a new bridge for $40 and so on. I just went through my MIM Jazz Deluxe and replaced all the chrome stuff with gold Gotoh, Schaller and Warmoth parts. Cost? A little over a hundred bucks. The barts that replaced the stock pickups cost about $150 and a spiffy new brushed gold plastic pickguard cost a little more than $30. Getting the good stuff can be done - it just takes time and patience.

And - Victor would still sound killer on a Samick or a Jay Turser.

cheers,

allan

18. lucifer

lucifer Guest

Nov 7, 2001
    Please dont get me wrong, i am appreciative, just when u go to a gig, get ready toplay, pull up your bass, and people automatically go "hehe, look at the amateur"...i love my basses, and they do what i want them to do. thats all that matters.
    Well, er...thankyou everyone, u all inspire me!
    (ps, lobster boy, alltogether, my entire rig, amps effects and basses cost me just over £500)
    thankyou very much everyone, u are all great.
    im PROUD for once!
    right, time to go play some jamiroquai!
    byee
    zxzx

19. lucifer

lucifer Guest

Nov 7, 2001
    ps, i am NOT having a go at the guys here with the serious hardware, they are just as entitled to do well as the people that cant afford it....
    (digs hole, deeper and deeper)

20. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I didn't have my own bass or amp for the first few years. The first "real" bass I played on was a no-name copy of a Univox-Hofner Beatle bass copy... and it wasn't mine:D. Then the band bought me a no name copy of a Telecaster bass... I was in heaven. I had started on an acoustic guitar with four strings (after having built a guitar-like thing out of a 2X4 with screws for tuners).

Like many have said, it's not what you have, it's what you do with it. Check this out, from Richard Bona:

Richard began to perform in public at the age of five, singing in the village church with his mother and four sisters. Musical instruments were hard to come by in his village, so Richard often had to build his own. He crafted a variety of wooden flutes and percussion instruments, and soon he had even constructed his own 12-string guitar. The biggest problem he faced, of course, was that there was no local music shop at which he could purchase guitar strings. So Richard came up with a creative solution: "I would hang out near the bicycle repair shops," he recalls "and when no one was looking, I would steal the bicycle brake cables to make my strings!"

It's all relative.

:)