Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

money orders from the USA to Canada

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ::::BASSIST::::, Aug 25, 2005.

1. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I just sold a SABDDI to a guy on ebay. I am asking that he sends me an International money order. This means its marked "international in us dollars" and not "cashable in the us and its possessions."

He says he has gone to the post office and 3 banks all of which say there is no such thing as a money order that is "international" that is, they are all domestic.

What? I have had other transactions where the buyer sent me an International money order from the us with no problems.

Am I missing something here?

2. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I never seen an international money order either.
    I just ask for a money order in US money that's it. And that's been ok everytimes.

3. If he goes to the post office for a money order it's all about the color - Pinkish colored USPS money orders are OK, the Green ones are NOT. Most tellers at Canadian banks know this and will NOT cash a green USPS money order.
    Been there, many times.....tell your buyer to make sure he gets the pink money order from the post office and you'll be OK. Or just tell him to get a USD cashiers cheque from a bank, you'll have to wait for it to clear though, most banks will hold them a while because of the fraud happening these days.

4. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    thanks. I asked him to get me a pink one. It should work out now. I think he hasnt done much of this kind of thing before.

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Find out if he has any political clout. Tell him you're holding off selling it until his government resolves the softwood lumber issue. :D

6. I was sent a green domestic US money order and CIBC took it. I deposited it to my account and they never said anything about it. That said, there is an international money order from the US, I've received that too.

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup.

The international ones work just fine. Just ask at yer post office.