Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Money Shot - bass tone

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by metron, Sep 1, 2005.

1. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    Robert Walter anyone?!? :cool: Not sure if this is an appropriate post for amps but I really want to know what the bassist is playing through on this recording. Its the tone I need to have, my holy grail if you will. Im going to go out on a limb and say its a p bass and SVT but I cant say for sure. Its so thick, gooey, compressed, and gnarly sounding at times. Yes this is the tone I want! :D Anyone have any info on what the bass player is using on this recording?

2. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Roger Waters? P bass.

3. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Don't hold your breath on duplicating any tone you hear on a recording. Studio tricks aside, most of the time the bass is sent either direct to the console or there's a mix of direct and mic'd cabinet sources. This applies to live recordings as well.

4. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    :D thanks whiz but robert walter is the artist that released the album. i think the bassist is david carano. i have to find out what this guy used on the recording... its the end of the road in my quest for tone!

5. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    thanks bill! i agree it may be a mix of mic and di but i know that the bulk of what im hearing is a mic'd amp. theres even a part where he digs in so hard you can hear the speakers chuff. i dont really hear studio tricks so much. this recording has a "warts and all" quality to it.

6. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I know how you can duplicate fIeLdY's tone!!!11!1!! roxors!1!!!!11!!1

:eyebrow: :rolleyes:

7. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

My bad Metron. I thought you meant the Pink Floyd song "Money".

8. Which Robert Walter album are you referring to?

9. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    money shot ;)

10. Sorry, I thought you were saying that the bass tone was akin to the "money shot"!

11. BAAAAAAAAAAH HAAAAAA HAAA! :D

12. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I listened to the 30 second clip on Amazon. It's either an old-school tube rig or a really good model (less likely). He's got it really dirty so it's harder to tell. I almost think there is something else in there to overdrive the preamp. I'd guess SVT first, but I could never get mine to distort that much without something in front of it.

The bass sounds a little like it is tubbed out with flatwounds. There's too much dirt in the tone for me to guess for sure what kind of bass. Probably from the P-bass genre, but who knows.

13. metron

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    thanks charles! yeah its not full on distortion like i get with my V-4B but very gritty or dirty sounding. i hadnt thought that he may be using distortion before the pre. could you get a tone like that out of your SVT when it starts to break up or not in any way?

14. With a hammer?

If you are going out on a limb and getting an SVT, erm, well, they all sound different ! (different age bands that is), basically older = better :)

15. its probably the alure of the power tubes :)