1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Money to spend, need advice!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BartmanPDX, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Buy yet another bass. I don't use my rig much.

12 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Buy a Traynor YBA200.

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Buy a used Crest CA9. It's overkill, but I can get a preamp later.

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  4. Save up for a used Mesa 400+ or wait for a used Ashdown ABM500

21 vote(s)
    38.9%
  5. Buy new speakers for the stereo I jam with.

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

I'll try to keep this brief, but please read about my unusual situation before voting/commenting. Thanks!!!! :)

I currently have an ancient ('90) GK 400RB head running through a Sansamp BDI pedal into an ancient ('90) Hartke 410XL cab and an Avatar B212.

My situation is unusual in that as a result of my daughter's serious medical problems, I do not play with a group nor am I likely to perform in public any time soon. It sucks, but them's the cards life dealt me, as they say. As a result, about 80% of my playing is actually done through a Tascam Bass Trainer, while she sleeps. I don't get to play through the rig much, but when I do, it's really fun.

I am looking to upgrade my rig in a piecemeal fashion, getting one nice piece at a time. I have come into some unexpected money (around $600), and am considering upgrading my amp. There are some unusual factors, due to my situation:

1. Weight is not an issue. My rig is unlikely to leave its spot, possibly for years.
    2. Power is not so much an issue, except in terms of overall quality. I don't need to play very loud to keep up with my stereo.
    3. I mostly play through headphones because of my daughter, and when I do get to plug in, it's often not for long (maybe 15 to 30 minutes) at night. This worries me as far as getting a tube amp, because I don't think tubes like to be turned on and off a lot.
    4. My GK 400 seems to be in the most need of replacement, as it is starting to make terrible pops (basically, all I need to do is tighten up the wiring on the input jack), but it's making my wife support my desire to upgrade. :D

In some ways, since I use the rig so little, it might be more fun to spend the money on yet another bass, or new speakers for my living room (the ones I play along with), as they are really old and tired. However, my rig is aging, and it would be nice to be able to power both my cabs with something better than my old GK400. I have my eye on a Reverend Rumblefish., which seems like a fun bass to add to my collection.

All comments/advice greatly appreciated.

2. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    I say buy another bass. You can never have too many. :)

3. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    i'd buy new speakers or possibly a new bass, but i'd hold off on an amp for now.....
    if its going to be a few years before you gig, there most likely will be new products you'd want instead of your current choices, so you'd probably wind up selling what you just bought now anyway....
    or just put the money away until the time comes to should your current gear NEED replaced or repaired; but what fun is that? :smug:

4. BartmanPDX

Good advice. The chances of me saving the money for later are pretty slim. :D

5. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    yeah, i'm the same way ;)

6. Standalone

Standalone

Jan 17, 2005
    New Haven
    Saving is the way to go... pick one goal at a time and go for it, rather than trying to do everything at once. You have an excellent axe collection. An amp that is up to par is next.

I love the seprate power amp/ pre idea, but for around the house, it's nicest to have a simple rig.

7. BartmanPDX

Right now, I'm leaning toward the Mesa 400+. It may take a while to talk the wife into it, and it would be much more amp than I need for the near future, but it also would likely be a unit that I wouldn't want to trade/upgrade for a long time, either. I'm a big believer in buying one nice piece at a time and holding onto it rather than constantly moving through gear.

Plus, I've had GAS for a REAL amp for a while now. I could get pretty excited about a Mesa 400+. :hyper:

Of course, there's nothing wrong with an Ashdown ABM500, either . . . tough decision. :meh:

8. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    That sounds like a cold solder joint which is usually a simple fix.

I dont know how much they cost, but can you buy a Mesa 400+ for $600?

You could probably find a vintage Ampeg V4B in nice condition for less than $600. They seem to be increasing in value so you could also consider it to be an investment. (sorry, i see that is not one of you poll options)

9. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    If you don't need overwhelming volume, why not completely revamp your rig. Seems like a 410 + 212 is major overkill for solo rehearsal. Something like an EA cxl-112 + high quality head of choice. My biggest improvement in tone from a single purchase was when I got that cab. Speaking from experience, the difference between a hartke xl cab and that 112 is night and day. You could always tack on another 112/210/whatever in the future if your circumstances change.

Just my $.02

10. BartmanPDX

I think I can talk my wife into letting me spend up to $1000 if I play it cool and get the taxes done. :D

11. BartmanPDX

That's a good idea, but I think I'd like to replace one piece at a time with a quality piece of gear. The next step after the amp would likely to be to get rid of both cabs in favor of a Bergantino or something like it.

12. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    Buy the Reverend!!!

13. brisonic

brisonic

Jan 1, 2006
    san diego
    You can do so much with the crest, I'd get that. I didnt know a ca9 could be had for so little, I just paid 409 for a qsc 1450 rmx last night.

14. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    You can never have to many toys!

15. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    Get the Mesa 400+ it will be more than you need rith now but you won't need more power when you do start playing out again. And you can slowly build your rig around that. It has great flexibility of tone and tons of clean power. You would not be sorry with this amp.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Sell me that DJ5, and you'll have plenty of money to buy a killer amp. :D

-Mike

17. BartmanPDX

Nice try, Mike! Actually, I am strongly considering ordering up a Valenti P/J 5-string. If I were to do that, I'm pretty sure my wife would demand that I sell the Lakland to offset the cost. It would be REALLY tough to part with it, though I think I like the 34" scale of my Bongo a little better. I would be really under the gun from her if I go for the Mesa in addition, unless I want to be sleeping outside.

Of course, the weather is going to get warmer soon . . . :D :bag: