Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Monitor Problems

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Prime Mover, May 25, 2003.

1. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Please help me, I have Comcast cable coming to instal internet cable to my apartment, but my monitor is not coming on. Everything else is working properly, and the one person who can help me, is out of town...so I decided to ask for help from you guys...So...the computer geeks that are lurking in this forum...please give me advice.

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    check the cables, are all the pins intact? none burned out or anything.

you have NO control of the monitor...it doesn't even turn on?

yikes....well, yeah, just check the power cables and the computer connection cables, and see if anything looks blown out, if it is, then I'm afraid it's new monitor time, unless of course you still got warranty on that thing.

3. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I checked the cable three times, the green light comes on to let me know that it is on...but the screen stays black. For the record I did play with the little gadgets that brighten the screen...so on and so forth...still nothing. Any other helpful hints?

Edit: BTW...She was in storage for a little over a year...would that do anything?

4. NO.

check your video card, make sure it is plugged firmly into the PCI or AGP slot. if it is a newer monitor, it would have said "no sync" if the video card wasnt in correctly.

but make sure that thing is in. if the monitors lights are on, most likely the monitor is fine. it would make more sense for your video card to be shot than the monitor.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah, but now the real question arises....if your monitor is bust, then how are you reading this :p ;)

6. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    WR...I am at my sisters house until Friday...Then I will be at the apartment for good after that...So how do I know where to locate the video card?

7. well, open up your pc...(unplug it first!!!)

look for the male end that you plug your monitor cable into (thats the video card).

locate the video card, then with both tips of your thumbs firmly press down on the video cards edges until you think it will break (but dont break it). if it wasnt already in, youll know its in. hopefully.

8. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Oh Gosh, I hope I remember this...I think I will be printing this out in the morning!

9. does your monitor have a tube like an amp? if so, you may have to have someone replace or check your tube.

10. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I don't think so...my puter was built by my ex boyfriend...but his friend would come to our house and mess it up on me...funny thing is...his friend worked in the IS department of my previous employment.

11. no. then just buy a new monitor.

unless the monitor is a very old, obsolete model, the video card is your best bet as the root of the problem.

12. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    I will check the video card tomorrow...if that isn't it...I work for ITT and we are getting rid of all our puters, so maybe I can snag a monitor...I hope.

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Probably the video card. What happens when you completly disconnect the cord from the video card and turn the monitor on?? Does it say "No sync" or similiar?

If not then it is your monitor that is the problem.

If not try reseating the video card in a different slot if its non agp.

14. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Try swapping out the monitor-to-computer cable with one that is known to be good.
    Test a monitor that you know is good on your computer.
    Test your monitor on another computer.
    Test your video card on another computer. If the card doesn't work on either computer, then you have probably found your problem.
    Test another video card on your computer.
    If the socketed chips on your video card have become dirty or corroded, you can try cleaning the pins with a pencil eraser.

15. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU

16. Try hitting it firmly with a baseball bat:D

17. Things which can cause no video signal on bootup -

Cable unconnected
    Bad cable
    Dead monitor
    Dead video card
    Unseated video card
    Computer trouble

If you try the monitor (and cable) on a different computer and it's fine, and a different monitor has the same behaviour on that machine, it could be the computer not starting up. A number of things could cause that.

When the machine starts up, can you hear it accessing the hard drive after making all the normal boot-up noises?

18. Something similar happened to me a couple times. Somehow the pc's set resolution got set too high for the monitor and it just didn't display anything. This happened after I had a new video card installed. I had to use a reboot disk and reset all the original settings. I don't know it this is your problem or not but it happened to me a couple times. It's probably cause I have an Emachine :D . NEVER, NEVER BUY AN EMACHINE! Ok I'm done. Good luck!

19. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    It is not my video card...My video card is firmly bolted in...ex made sure of that...so it is not that. So, I don't have access to a monitor yet, so I will see if ITT will lend me one for...well ever:D