1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Monitoring bass guitar

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by verstft, Feb 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. verstft

verstft

May 16, 2016
    I have a pair of Mackie MR5 mk3 active speakers that dual task for mixing and bass guitar practice. I'm really missing feeling a bit more low end when playing. I usually throw on some headphones but it gets really tiring after a while.

Am I better off upgrading to 6" or even 8" woofers like maybe some KRK Rokkit 6's, or adding a sub to my setup? Or even just get a cheap bass amp (rumble 40 or something like that) with a D.I. to play and monitor through.

My room is 16x12 and my speakers are calibrated to 88db SPL for mixing but I usually mix much much quieter and check once in a while to stay on good terms with my neighbors.

I'm definitely looking for a budget conscious solution here, any help is appreciated.

2. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    You mention "feeling" so do you mean for practice? Buttkicker or Bass Shaker might give you the feel you want. There's gamer versions that clamp onto office chairs. There's some body and wrist shakers out there.

For mixing, it's best to use your ears.
    Subs or bigger more powerful speakers could be louder, and louder sounds better. Neighbors may not like it. Bass carries through wall much more than mids/highs.

If you're recording, then treating the room, and some room analysis software may be a good way to go. It may be the mids/highs are too active or reflective and they are maskings the lows. Louder sounds mask quieter sounds. So loud mids to mask the lows.

Better headphones/earbuds may help if your current ones cause fatigue.

3. Yes, feels like playing in front of a huge cabinett and protects your ears. Love my "Pleasure Board":

2015-12-09 23.58.56.