1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Monk Montgomery: Bass Odyssey

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by emor, Apr 2, 2009.

1. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Does anyone know if this is available anywhere on CD?

2. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
  3. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I have that on LP; never seen it on CD. In fact, Monk's electric bass recordings are hard as hell to find on CD. Thanks for the link to the mp3's.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    On a tangent-
    Two Monk Montgomery tunes are on the multi-disc The Complete Motown Singles, Vol. 9 (1969).
    "A Place In The Sun"
    "Your Love"
    This set would be worthy...kinda pricey, though.
    I bought the 2 tracks from iTunes.

There's some Earl Van Dyke (Funk Brothers' keyboardist) stuff, too.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    His brother Wes used the thumb...I have a Monk Montgomery Bass Method book (from the '70s). I think Monk mostly used a pick.

I'm going to dig that book out. IIRC, Monk said "the left hand actually plays the bass". Well, I got it all backwards...I'm definitely 'the right hand plays the bass' kinda guy.

Just so you don't think I'm BS-ing about the book- ;)
    http://cgi.ebay.com/Monk-Montgomery...tudio-224_W0QQitemZ300288684497QQcmdZViewItem

6. RHFusillo

RHFusillo Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2000
    Phoenix, AZ
    I wish that EMI would reissue this on CD:

IntroducingMastersoundsLP.

It's a straight jazz group from the 1950's and Monk was playing a Fender bass. They recorded the electric bass surprisingly well in the context.

7. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
  8. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
  9. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    This is how I like to hear electric bass in jazz. Of course, this isn't fusion. Just good jazz played by real jazz musicians.

Monk played with a pick as did most of the studio bassists back then.

This is a far better album to my ears than Bass Odyssey which I also have.

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  11. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I love his playing, and I wish you'd see more jazz bands who are going for a "classic" or vintage vibe use a classic Fender bass sound. (seems to me in jazz these days you either get upright, or some really modern electric bass and tone).
    See if you can find The Mastersounds "The King and I" album. I have it on vinyl (they re-interpret the score to the play/movie). The bass sound is beautiful. Another one of those records that inspired me to go back to a "Fender bass" 'n flatwounds a number of years ago;)
    I think he used one of the original Bassman combos (I also have a live Mastersounds on vinyl--forget the title right now--and you can see the amp). I always thought he used his thumb until reading somewhere on here a while back he used a pick at least some of the time, and now it makes sense--especially on that live album there's some parts I can't imagine pulling off with just thumb thumping.
    Another album I like as far as a classic Fender bass sound being used in jazz is "Montara" by Bobby Hutcherson. Dave Troncoso is great on it.

12. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Yeah, I sure wish guys would get back to that real bass sound and get back to playing jazz. Electric bass works really well in it if the sound is right. Big band stuff too.

13. pbass2

pbass2

Jan 25, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I'm not a jazz player, I'm just a listener--I just think it's odd nobody (that I know of at least) these days in jazz is using a more "vintage" electric bass sound like that. It's all so hi-fi!
    Another one of my faves is Bob Cranshaw on some of the 70's Sonny Rollins stuff.

14. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    So, I downloaded it and listened to it for the first time in probably 30 years (I had it on vinyl in the 70's but it has been MIA for a long time). What a pleasure to hear it again.

Here's the personnel:

Monk Montgomery: Lead Electric Bass on all selections and Fuzz Bass on "Fuselage."
    Joe Sample: Electric Piano.
    Mike Carven: Drums on "Foxy Gypsy," "Journey to the Bottom," and "Personage."
    Wayne Henderson: Drums on "Fuselage."
    "Stix" Hooper: Drums on "Sister Lena."
    Andy Simpson: Upright Bass on "Journey to the Bottom," "Foxy Gypsy," and "Personage."
    Kent Brinkley: Upright Bass on "Sister Lena."

Thanks for all the other recommendations.

15. emor

emor

May 16, 2004
    kcmo
    Oops, is this the same album (reissued)? This is the one on amazon:

51BJT5qz8HL._SS500_.
    Track Listings
    1. Loco, Loco
    2. Wes' Tune
    3. Drum Tune
    4. Lower
    5. Dexter's Deck
    6. If I Should Lose You
    7. That Old Devil Moon
    8. Queen and I
    9. Spring Is Here
    10. Water's Edge

16. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    A lot of water passed under the bridge between 1952 when Monk was a very early Fender adopter and the '70s, by which time It's obvious his playing had evolved heavily, but at first he was definitely primarily a thumb player. He is quoted in Karl Blasquiz's book about his thumb style: "The downstroke came to me naturally, and I would just strike the string that way. I had no examples or influences." There are a lot of pictures from the era with him either playing or holding his bass like he was playing, and the thumb is right there on the string, FWIW.

Here's a later image:

http://www.dannglenn.com/nvr001.html

17. I just discovered him about 10 minutes ago- Oh my god. He's simply amazing.

18. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I bought Bass Odyssey decades ago in Atlanta where I had a summer job before I started college. I paid maybe $1 for it at a record cutout bin. I have no idea what happened to that record, and I haven't had a turntable in at least 25 years!:D

19. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    He had an interview in Guitar Player back in the 1970s, and he used a felt pick if I remember correctly. He did originally use his thumb, but I have no idea when he changed. His tone came from the combination of a pick, flatwounds, and a bass with the mutes still on it.

20. GTBASS

GTBASS

Sep 16, 2004
    ZOMBIE THREAD RESURRECTION! Dug this link out of my bookmarks and wanted to add a few links to some Monk stuff.

Here's a link to download Live in Soweto:
    http://electricjive.blogspot.com/2012/01/monk-montgomery-live-in-soweto-1974.html

Never Too Late is available from Amazon here:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000006K5D/ref=gno_cart_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2ZENUINMXWV60

And finally, Reality is going to be re-released on cd in September!
    http://www.amazon.com/Reality-Monk-...TF8&colid=1UA6IMQFGXP07&coliid=I3H8D0UW7CY9HJ

YAY MONK!