Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Monkeee like BONGO! (aka new bass!)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Feb 21, 2004.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I just left the local Guitar Center with a brand new Graphite Pearl 5 string Bongo with M/M/piezo in hand (or, rather, gig bag).

Sounds great, plays great, and all that jazz. :hyper:

I'm going to order a tort pickguard from Gard on Monday to complete the picture in my head.

I'll post pics and such when I get home.

YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII!

2. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Closed due to rules violation - no pics with a new bass purchase.

;) :D

Post 'em soon, eh?

3. Don't tell the Nerve :bag:

4. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

Heh....I was thinking that as I was buying it.

What a great instrument. :bassist:

5. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    Atlanta
    If it's from the GC in Marietta...it has passed through the healing hands of Father Stachio :D
    Or the cursed hands of Stachio...whichever you want to go with...
    Congrats BM

PS...feel free to give me a ring next time...I practically live down the street.

6. JJd2sc

JJd2sc

Jul 31, 2003
    Marietta, Georgia
    I was playing that bass the other day :) Sounds very good.

7. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yep, that's the one. The fingerboard was pretty dried out when I got it, but a lemon/mineral oil bath while I talked to my guitar player, and it was feeling much better.

I can't wait to get some Powerbass strings on this thing. Or, maybe some Jazz Flats. Hmmmm......decisions, decisions.....

I attached a quick photo to prove the thing's in my apartment, but I'm going to wait until I get the new pickguard to take some better shots. Until then, just check out the great pics of Bovinehost's 5 string. It looks exactly like that, except mine has one more knob for the piezo/mag blend.

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Too many nice toys, bub.

9. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Heh, yeah, but at least my total number of nice toys didn't increase since the 6 string fretless Curbow went bye bye to justify this acquisition.

10. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Ah, another convert. I feel all warm and happy inside!

For what it's worth, and depending on what you're going for, I just pulled the Powerbass off my Bongo 4. I'm more of an old school thumper guy although I have recently rediscovered the joys of roundwounds (Fat Beams on the Bongo 5), but SWEET JESUS. I just couldn't seem to control those Powerbass coupled with that Bongo - yow. Like taking an Indy car to a go-cart track. I play a lot of blues-oriented stuff and classic rock and whatnot (not by preference - but I live in Texas), and that bass was just too much with the Powerbass.

So I kicked it around some and decided to go with LaBellas flats and I just gigged with it last night....NICE.

But you might be going for something more 'modern' and if you are, wow, the Powerbass/Bongo combo is just beyond belief.

Hey Ken - what's up with your Bongo Lust?

11. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Convert--heck, I've wanted one since the first time I saw them. I even managed to justify getting a fretted one when I swore I'd only buy a fretless.

BTW, BH, my bass has the next serial number up from yours. It was the next one off of the lot, as it were. I hope yours plays as well as mine. If so, it must have been a great day in San Luis Obispo!

As for strings, I'll be mainly using this bass at my blues gigs with my fretless Fender P, and at the occasional original jazz gig, but I think the Powerbass strings will go well. This bass is going to replace my US Curbow 5 which will now undergo both a refinish and a defret to be the fretless 5 I was planning to get. It might get Jazz Flats at some point down the line, but I certainly want to check it out with Powerbass first.

12. Is it uncomfortable to play while sitting down?

Doesnt look to be curved enough to be comfy, anyways congrats on the bass

13. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    No problems here playing while sitting.

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Better that than all engorged and tingly outside!

Still stoking the flames - I'm trying to decide what I want to sell to justify getting a Bongo.

15. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!

I knew something at GC that looked familiar. :D

I was just about to start a thread on this 6 string Fretless Curbow I played during lunch this afternoon... I almost spent my whole lunch time playing it.

Glad you like the Bongo... It Looks cool. :rolleyes:

16. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA

I love the Bongo. And, I'll love it even more when the new tort pickguard arrives from BC! :hyper:

The Curbow 6 string fretless is a super nice bass. Unfortunately, it gave me serious wrist and forearm pain every time I played it for more than 20 minutes.

17. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    What do you call an ugly bass?

You name it after an ugly drum... Bongo

18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    :rolleyes:

Coming from someone who actually bought a Gibson Nikki Sixx bass, I'll take that as a compliment.

Now, go play in traffic, or something....

19. Subculture13

Subculture13 Jamming Econo

Apr 9, 2003
    Toronto, Ont. Canada
    You paid money for this?
    [​IMG]

Hey pot, my name is Kettle!

Nothing wrong with Thunderbirds. All the better if they come with no controls save for the KILL switch. Simple is better.

I tried playing in traffic once, all the cars kept swerving to avoid me, what fun is there in that?

20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Ah, the ignore feature. So handy.