1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mono Bridged Speakon-I just don't understand!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JohnnyFive, Aug 17, 2007.

1. JohnnyFive

JohnnyFive

May 20, 2007
    I'm running an SVT-IV into an 810AV mono bridged with a 4 pole speakon cable. I understand you need the speakon to be specifically wired. I have read so many threads on the subject but I just don't understand.

It should be wired for +1 (positive) and +2 (negative) on the amp end. The cabinet end should be wired in the standard fashion, which is +1 (positive) and -1 (negative) right? But with a 4 pole cable what do you do with the remaining -1 and -2 connectors on the amp end and the -2/+2 on the speaker end?

I'd really appreciate it if someone could dumb it down for me. Currently the cable is symmetrical with black 2+, red 1+, blue 2-, yellow 1-.

2. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005

Nothing. Dumb enuff for ya?

;) ;) ;)

But seriously, nothing.

3. JohnnyFive

JohnnyFive

May 20, 2007
    Keep dumbing it down.
    I still don't get what wire goes to what terminal.
    Should one end remain as it is and I rewire the other end? so...

Amp----->Speaker
    +2------->-1
    +1------->+1
    -2-------->??
    -1-------->??

4. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    does it have slots for banana plugs?

5. JohnnyFive

JohnnyFive

May 20, 2007
    I'm not sure what you mean. The end of each wire has a metal cap on it so that it easily slots into the terminal on the speakon connector.

6. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    I checked. It doesn't.

7. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Fixed it for you.

You only need two conductors, or poles as you call them. Best thing would be to just have two, for minimum trouble.
    But if you're stuck with 4, just cut two of them. You don't want them dangling. It's just waiting for disaster to happen.

8. Dan Molina

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    That's why I don't bother with speakon cables, too complicated.

9. JohnnyFive

JohnnyFive

May 20, 2007
    Really? I was under the impression that you needed a 4 wire speakon for mono bridged applications. So I only need a two wire speakon then? I'll save my 4 conductor speakon for if I want to Biamp.

10. JohnnyFive

JohnnyFive

May 20, 2007
    Is the only reason people suggest using a four conductor speakon plug because you CAN rewire it? Whereas a two conductor plug CANNOT be rewired? If so, that explains all my confusion.

11. Rune Bivrin

Rune Bivrin Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2006
    Huddinge, Sweden
    Well, you need a 4-pole connector on the amp end, since bridged uses one each from the 1 and 2 pairs. But only two wires.

12. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    You need the four pole speakon cable to run the Ampeg svt pro 4 in 4 ohm bridge mode. I would just contacted Ampeg and get the right cable from them.

13. Jeff A

Jeff A

Oct 22, 2005
    CT
    The four conductor can be rewired for your biamping application, the two conductor can't.

14. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I'd just make up a new cable to keep things simple and clear. Get the length of 2 conductor cable you need, a 4 conductor speakon plug and a 2 conductor plug.

Regardless of what combination of plugs you use, each end will be specifically for a single location to have it work correctly. You'll need to mark the plug for the amp end (+1, +2) and the speaker end (+1, -1).

A simpler solution would be to use speakon on the amp end and 1/4" on the speaker end...you'd never have any confusion about what goes where, but you'd lose the advantage of the speakon's connection, which is designed for the higher power you're after.

My SWR SM-400 has banana only for bridging, so it's easy to keep straight about what goes where.

15. JohnnyFive

JohnnyFive

May 20, 2007
    Thankyou all. I've rewired my current speakon. Seems to be working great.

16. el_Kabong

el_Kabong

Jul 11, 2005
    Johnny5 you do understand it, you just think you don't. What you said in your 1st post sounds right to me, and the answer to your original question was the one I gave, ie nothing. The bit I think you're missing is that a 4 pole speakon has 4 contacts as you stated, a 1/4 in has 2 (tip/sleeve). To run bridged, you are effectively connecting both the +ive terminals of the amp to the cab. The cab can only 'see' the +1 and -1 terminals. If you were to look inside it you would find the 2+/2- terminals are vacant. So at the amp you connect +1 and +2 thru to +1 and -1 at the cab end and you leave the other terminals vacant. The vacant terminals are different physical connections, in a different place in the connector (grab a flashlight and have a look in the business end), that's why you need a 4 pole connector even though you only use 2 of them. I dunno if that was dumb enuff, I hope so. Otherwise I'll have to get my drummer to explain it. ;) ;)