Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mono-bridging+

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BBMS, Aug 15, 2005.

1. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    I'm new to bass guitar amps , but have experience with keyboard amps and PA systems. I have one bass setup with a Carvin BRX212 and a Trace Elliot extension cabinet (obtained from Rhett). I would like to make a backup rig from stuff I already have. I have a QSC USA850 amp I used in a bi-amp setup, and can mono-bridge it. If I used a preamp, like the BBE BMax, I should be able to go from the bass to the preamp to the amp to the cabinet, right? Which leads me to this question: What's the difference between the QSC amp and a bass amp (besides the knobs)? Thanks in advance! MY

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    "you are correct, sir!!" almost any stereo or mono amp will do, however it is nice to have an amp that can be bridged for more power OR independent channel gain controls in case you are using mismatched cabs and need to balance the volumes between the two sides.

3. BBMS

BBMS

Jun 29, 2005
    Thanks for your reply! I was getting worried! I tried the QSC850 today, switched it to mono-bridge and ran it through a BBE BMax preamp (thanks to Rhett!) to a 4X12 Trace Elliot cabinet (again, thanks to Rhett!), and it sounded really good! I thought it had more sound than the new Carvin BRX212 combo I used, with the Trace Elliot cabinet linked to it. I didn't try running the guitar through the BBE and then to the Carvin, so maybe that would enable the Cavin to have more punch, too. I'll have to check it out tomorrow. Thanks again! MY