1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MONO Case - Caused Black Stain -

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by FunkyThing, Apr 27, 2015.

1. FunkyThing

FunkyThing

Dec 24, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    BE WARNED my fellow bass players before you make the same mistake.

Last year, I wanted a gig bag for my 6 string Ken Smith. After doing my research I decided to purchase the MONO M80 gig bag. There were a few comments out there stating that the neck support created black stains that would not come off. So I reached out to MONO early October 2014 and inquired about the issue. They proceeded to state that issue was fixed and it was only causing in the Vertigo cases. So I bought the M80 in November 2014, and was happy with it till Friday 04/24/2015 after I noticed that BLACK STAIN on the neck of my bass. (SHAME ON ME FOR TRUSTING MONO)

Long story short, I emailed MONO the same day (04/24/2015). They are going to refund me for my money spent, but they are not willing to fix the stain caused on my expensive bass. Folks make sure if you have an expensive bass, especially it uses sensitive finishes like the Ken Smith basses do; DO NOT purchase this case. It will ruin the finish and MONO will not hold themselves liable for ruining the finish.

I provided the feedback that they need to updated their product guide to indicate that it can cause damage to some finishes, but I strongly doubt that they will. I’m very disappointed at their approach to the issue. They are very polite, but the correct thing would be to take full responsibility and have this ugly stain removed from my bass.

Attached are 3 pictures but they don't do justice to the damage! In person it's pretty visible! In the 3rd picture you can see the dark shadow. It was worse but I managed to polish some of it out.

Cheers Friends!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  2. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

The first pic doesn't show any damage from what I see in the pic.

How often/long was the bass stored in the Mono bag?

hdracer likes this.
  3. FunkyThing

FunkyThing

Dec 24, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    The picture does not show the damage very well because of the lighting. On the second picture you can see the dark spot. It's about 7 inches long (I added another picture). I managed to polish some of it out using an abrasive compound I got from a guitar luthier.

It was stored in the bag daily when not in use. I played it daily, just didn't notice till now. Got the bag in November.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  4. BazzTard

BazzTard Banned

I don't understand.

You KNEW the Mono bag can marr a bass's finish , and you believed what Mono told you over the advice of people that had experienced it.

I'm sorry for you, but you made an error of judgment,

Personally, I think you have a case for consumer affairs to make Mono repair the damage, especially after they told you it was no longer an issue. The fact that they refunded your money shows an acceptance from them that they caused the damage to your bass. Sue them .

Howlin' Hanson likes this.
  5. FunkyThing

FunkyThing

Dec 24, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I definitely agree with you that I made an error of judgment. Shame on me! The postings I had read were from 2013 and when I had reached out to MONO they reassured me it would not happen. I'm thinking about it.

Last edited: May 1, 2015
    rtav likes this.
  6. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I only use gig bags to transport basses from home to gigs/rehearsals and back. I always had a feeling that certain gig bags could leave marks.

I was actually kinda roasted on a previous thread as I mentioned I am fine with storing a bass long term in a OHSC but not a high end gig bag.

Your situation sucks, but I am personally thankful that you posted it!

FunkyThing likes this.
  7. FunkyThing

FunkyThing

Dec 24, 2009
    San Diego, CA

Live and learn I guess. Thank you for your sympathy as well. The goal here was to warn other folks who might be thinking of getting this gig bag. It might work for some basses, but not all types of finishes. MONO needs to be clear on their website that it might harm some finishes or stop using materials with dye for their gig bags. Cheers!

Baird6869 likes this.
  8. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    Thanks for posting.

I'm poised waiting to pull the trigger on a dual M80 with a Tick (about $400 total) so this is a definite concern...
    I only use gig bags for, well, gig transport and instruments never spend much time in them. Except for the once-a-year Bass Boot Camp when they're packed up about 3 days in a row. I'll probably call Mono on it and see what they say this time. Do you have any sort of date-of-manufacture information on your case? (Kinds hoping it was NOS from before the problem was 'fixed.')

Either way, I'm thinking I'll get an automotive chamois to place over the neck support so it doesn't contact the necks directly...

FunkyThing likes this.
  9. FunkyThing

FunkyThing

Dec 24, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Unfortunately the bag did not have a date-of-manufacture.

There were some previous reviews about the vertigo case having the issue but some one also advised the same issue was occurring with the M80. Check out: Monocase Vertigo Review! | TalkBass.com. Look at the comment from "playitlow". The M80 is built very nicely with the exception of the neck support. Just as a FYI, the bottom of the bag is also made of the same material as the neck support. Luckily the bottom of my bass is dark walnut so it doesn't show any signs of staining.

If you do plan to get this bag, definitely place a rag on the neck support and at the bottom where the bass sits. My bass has a lacquer finish, so if your bass has the same type of finish, honestly I would stay away until they change the type of material being used. Cheers!

10. FunkyThing

FunkyThing

Dec 24, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Here's the last email I got about the issue and my attempt to get them to remove the stain:

"Unfortunately we are unable to extend our warranty support beyond our own products. As such, we are unable to take on liability for personal property including your bass. Our warranty is outlined here: MONO :: Warranty

From a design standpoint, I am equally frustrated by unanticipated chemical reactions that some instrument finishes undergo. As musicians, we completely understand (and some of us also prefer) more delicate finishes on our instruments. The reality is that there are over 30,000 wood finishing chemicals out there, and builders are free to use whichever ones they prefer. There is no "approved set" of those chemicals, which leaves a lot of variables. There are also process variables: how these chemicals are applied, sealers used, stains, humidity, curing, equipment, catalysts, etc. There are also environmental variables that can cause a chemical reaction with a finish and make it susceptible to coloration: water/humidity, temperature, sweat, hand lotions, sunblock, hair products, waxes. This leaves us with potentially endless possibilities to test for. We do test for surface contact against various standard finishes, and we will continue to gather information about experiences like yours to see what we can do from an R&D standpoint to accommodate as many possible finishing techniques as we can. Nitro finishes are widely understood in the industry to be highly unstable. Ultimately, care-taking instructions must be provided by the finisher/builder, as only they know [a] what finishing chemicals were used, what finishing process was used, and [c] what guaranteed/approved materials exist for preserving that finish.

I know this doesn't solve your situation. I know that is frustrating. But I hope you can understand why our ability to help with your bass is ultimately limited by our warranty. Rest assured we will continue looking into this so that we can better understand what kinds of chemicals are susceptible to these kinds of reactions, and what tends to trigger them."

11. ArtechnikA

ArtechnikA I endorsed a check once... Gold Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2013
    SEPA
    AFAIK, Roscoe uses catalyzed polyurethane finish on the SKB series, but I will be checking with them to verify.

I think for Mono it's easy: don't use materials on the interior with ANY dyes. Doubt they'll see it that way tho...

FunkyThing likes this.
  12. FunkyThing

FunkyThing

Dec 24, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I'd be interested to know what they tell you. I agree with you on how it's an easy fix for Mono. They should have done this back in 2013 when folks started to report the issues.

13. Jon Moody

Jon Moody Commercial User

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    If they've known about this since 2013, is there at least a list of instruments that they would warn someone against putting in their cases for this exact reason (esp since they brought up nitro finishes)? I would think that, if they're not going to change their manufacturing process, a list of instruments that have finishes that don't play well would be in order.

FunkyThing likes this.
  14. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    First mistake - you bought a bag for an expensive bass.
    They make hard shell cases that don't stain your bass and will protect it from damage.

15. FunkyThing

FunkyThing

Dec 24, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    Let's hope they place a disclosure on their product for folks to be aware, but honestly I doubt it.

16. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Manager of Brand Identity & Development, GHS Strings, Innovation Double Bass Strings, Rocktron
    I take it you're not familiar with the Mono M80 gigbag, that is in question, because if you were you'd notice that it's probably more durable than many hardshell cases. In fact, a lot of gigbags are nowadays, because many of us simply don't need a huge bulky case.

TJH3113, Fat Steve, Goatrope and 3 others like this.
  17. FunkyThing

FunkyThing

Dec 24, 2009
    San Diego, CA
    I thought I was buying a good bag, especially for the price. Now I know!!! :(

18. Jon Moody

Sep 9, 2007
    Kalamazoo, MI
    If they're going to point back to their warranty, they really ought to put it there, when they mention that they're not liable for property damage.

19. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Yeah, sorry. There is this age old debate that flares up from time to time on TB about the relative vitrues and failures of bags vs cases. Some will disagree with me, but I always have good cases for my instruments.
    For example, my Squier VB J V I paid $270 for lives in a $189 case. To me, a bag is a convenient way to find all the parts and pieces when your instrument falls out of the van at 60 MPH.

20. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    This is a religious argument or a discussion of the best pickup truck. We all have our preferences. I don't like any gig bag.
    If you like them and or comfortable with them, go for it.
    I've seen the demo videos where they throw a bass out of a second story window with no damage. But, they are tossing it so it lands flat on a side. I'd like to see the demo where they drop it headstock first.

rtav likes this.