1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mono case > hard case?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thehangingmist, Dec 13, 2011.

1. i dont like hard cases personally they are bulky and a pita to carry around. but i deal with the pain because i want my bass safe! now this mono electric bass guitar case looks promising but is it going to protect the bass as good as a skb hard case?

i am not willing to compromise on the safety of my bass so thats the only parameter am judging by. i'd really appreciate your inputs if you have used a mono case and a good quality hard case.

thank you

ps: if there are any other similar super durable high end bass cases you know about please mention them.

2. Mister_argentum

Mister_argentum

Aug 30, 2011
    Geneva
    Mono cases are really good, it protects a lot the bass. I've been using one for two years and it always did the job.

Hard cases protect better but they are annoying if you're not by car (my case) all the time.

Hope it helps!

3. I haven't used a hardcase in almost 30 years. The new 'hybrid' bags like the Mono are great, and will be adequate protection for everything except throwing a bass in an equipment van and/or checking through on an airplane.

My favorite bag at this point, based on price/value, protection, and pocket space is the Pro Tec Contego bag. I've pretty much owned them all (iGig, Mono, inCase, etc.) and the current, improved Contego bag is a fraction of the cost and 90% the qualit IMO).

The Mono is great in that it is ultra light. The downside is the pocket storage is very limited.

4. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Agreed. I really like my Mono as-is but I wish it had just a little more storage space. I can fit my head (G-K MB500) in the front pocket, but it JUST fits in there. It's kind of busting at the seams and there's little room in there for anything else.

I have two basses that I'm in the process of "Frankenstein-ing" and when they're done I'll need bags/cases for them. The Pro Tec Contegos look like great choices. I've read a lot of good here, especially from KJung, and my son has a Pro Tec bag for his trumpet that's fantastic.

My instructor has a Reunion Blues that has considerably more storage space and the bag provides SERIOUS protection (I've seen the YouTube videos and I've also watched my instructor throw his bag across the store with his custom built bass inside). The down side is that it weighs double what my Mono does, comparable to a hard case.

Tradeoffs, always tradeoffs ....

5. a gig bag will totally keep your bass safe! as long as your not throwing it around you'll be fine . . . i use a mooridian bag. works great and holds 2 basses

6. VWbug

VWbug

Sep 11, 2010
    New Jersey
    I like the Igig for the end pin protection. The Mono bag also protects against end pin impacts. A gig bag is so much more convenient. :cool: