1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mono jack on active bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by HAdam, Jan 24, 2017.

1. HAdam

HAdam

Jun 24, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    Purchased a Neutrik silent plug recently, only to realize that it doesn't mute the signal on stereo jacks as you unplug it. Is it possible to wire up a mono jack so it serves the same function of the battery on/off as the stereo jack did? Thanks!

2. The only way to avoid a TRS jack is to choose a TS jack that has an isolated switching circuit.

wcriley and Killed_by_Death like this.
  3. HAdam

HAdam

Jun 24, 2016
    Long Island, NY
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

5. HAdam

HAdam

Jun 24, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    erm.. it has one right now yes, but it doesn't output in stereo, I believe the stereo jack is there only to turn on/off the battery when you plug in. (it's a CIJ Fender Jaguar Bass)
    jaguar_wiring.

6. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Your bass is not a stereo bass. The jack you linked is the correct replacement part.

Edited for more detail: A stereo jack is only required for a bass that will output in stereo. Your bass only requires a mono jack since it cannot do stereo output. Take a look at the wiring for a Ricenbacker 4003 for an example of stereo wiring. Your bass requires the break circuit to break contact from the battery to the jack when not in use. I hope that clarifies things a little better.

7. wcriley

wcriley

Apr 5, 2010
    Western PA
    DiabolusInMusic likes this.
  8. DiabolusInMusic

Whoops, he is right. You want a "make" circuit jack, not a "break" circuit jack. I have linked my supplier below but that is a Canadian source, you'll want to find an American one.

Switchcraft #13 - 1/4" Mono Jack (with isolated "make" circuit)

9. HAdam

HAdam

Jun 24, 2016
    Long Island, NY
    Just ordered it, and it only cost me $8.50 after shipping because I couldn't find it anywhere else :( . Thanks again for the tips!

10. byacey

byacey

May 16, 2008
    Alberta, Canada
    I don't understand what the issue is. I have a switchcraft TRS jack on my bass with active pickups, and the Neutrik silent plug works perfectly well. If it's pulled out of the jack an 1/8" or so, it mutes the send to the amp.

11. ctmullins

ctmullins fueled by beer and coconut Gold Supporting Member

Apr 18, 2008
    MS Gulf Coast
    I'm highly opinionated and extremely self-assured
    Very cool. Two independent circuits.

But I wonder about timing - Does the "make" circuit complete before the signal circuit does? If not, do we run the risk of a pop when the signal circuit completes first?

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Usually a stereo jack is used so that when you insert a mono plug sleeve and ring short and engage the (-) wire from the battery. It's the most usual power on/off method seen in active basses, nothing to do with stereo output.

Thisguy and DiabolusInMusic like this.
  13. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    You shouldn't really be plugging/unplugging your lead into your bass with you amp volume turned up anyway.
    I always mute my amp before pulling the jack from my bass, or unplug from the amp first.

14. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    I find the active bass switched jack sockets which are the thin cylinder sealed type are a damn curse, they always wear out and become intermittent.

15. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I don't have any problems with mine with active basses. Just want to rule out the obvious because I've seen people doing this - you are using the switched connector bass side, right?

16. There are lots of options for jacks with switches. In fact just about every style of jack socket can be found with extra switch contacts.

What it comes down to, really, is if the battery switch in the socket stays firmly closed until after the mute switch in the plug has closed. (And closes again of course, before the mute switch opens, when you plug back in.) If the battery connection is allowed to open while the signal is connected and not muted, that will cause the "loud active bass pop".

I'm guessing that you may have to try a few different sockets to find one that reliably does this.

17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Having owned active basses that use the jack as the on/off switch and one that had a four way switch that selected two active modes, passive mode, and on/off, i much prefer the on/off switch over the jack.

18. DiabolusInMusic

Good to know. I don't really use active basses but the few times I have replaced the jacks in them the above jack is the one I used.

19. gumtown

gumtown

May 7, 2007
    New Zealand
    Does the battery go flat over night when left switched 'on' then?
    There must be still a jack switch in there somewhere,
    I have a bass with a push/pull pot switch for active mode, and it still has a jack switch for the battery, otherwise the battery would always be flat if left in active mode and unplugged.

20. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If you leave it on it will go flat pretty quick, but the four way rotary switch starts at the bottom with

off
    active with preset mid
    active with mid adjustable VIA a trimpot on the board
    passive

You can leave it plugged in forever and the battery is fine. Just roll the four way switch all the way forward/down/ to the bottom stop and the electronics are not connected to the output jack and the battery is not connected to the preamp. I normally play in the active with preset mid, but it's nice to be able to roll it on to passive if my battery starts to sag mid set. The other active basses I've had were all or nothing, if the battery started to go away so did volume and tone. I never had an active bass that was switched on by the plug being inserted that also had an active/passive switch so I don't know if you can pull your butt out of the fire with that feature should your battery start to lay down on you mid set.

Here's a pic. The single knob at the rear is the 4 way switch, next is bass/treble stack, then volume/balance stack. It's simple to operate and has one of the nicest sounding preamps I've ever had in a bass. The thing I like most is when I set it down between sets I just flip the switch off and don't have to worry about unplugging then plugging back in to conserve battery power.

IMG_3077.JPG

Last edited: Jan 25, 2017
    RobbieK and DiabolusInMusic like this.