Mono or Stereo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by oldrocker, Aug 19, 2005.

1. oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Ok, I'm about to upgrade my 20+ year old head.

I've already replaced my cabs and I am currently running a 1X15 and a 2X10, 8 ohms each, in parallel, mono.

The new heads I am considerring can be run in either stereo or mono bridged mode.

Would I be better off running mono bridged into my 2 cabs wired in paraleel - 4 ohms efective?

Or is it better to run in stereo with one cab on each side?
  2. With stereo you can control the volume of each cab. Very useful. But I'm only thinking in terms of stereo power amps...
  3. bassontherun

Jul 9, 2005
    If the new head you are looking at is bi-ampable, that would be another good argument for stereo. Can then set up the crossover to match your boxes' frequency responses. Stereo would also sound great if your input signal happens to include strereo effects patched to match the stereo path.

You may also have a power output difference based on the two channels' output ratings (watts per channel x 2) at 8ohm vs. the mono-bridged output output rating (watts at 4ohm bridged). The mono may be a bit higher (or they may be equal, depending on how the manufacturer rated its amp).

Regardless, the stereo will be a nice feature to have in the bag even if you decide to run mono most of the time.
  4. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    "Stereo" amps (i.e. dual mono) = lots of flexibility in usage and cabinet selection. Good.

"Stereo Bass" (i.e. chorus/signal delay) = IMO indistinct tone without expensive crossovers, EQ, and other outboard effects. Bad.
  5. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I often run a 2x10/1x15 stack. I run them in mono, either from one channel of the amp or both channels bridged, depending on how much volume I need.