Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

mono rail II

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by loma, Feb 17, 2004.

1. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    help me with this mono rail II, i wanna lower the action on the G string,(haha so funny) ive used the small allen key all the way, i mean the piviting thing is all the way down, but i want more down, so i was wondering if its ok to move the saddle back (to lower the action more)

2. Sure, you can move it back. Only problem is the only note that will be in tune will be the open G, and harmonics. Oh and I'm pretty sure it won't be any lower. But you can move it back...

What it sounds like you need here is a shimming of your neck, unless theres something I'm missing with the monorail. Is it a bolt on? If so take the neck off, stick a piece of business card type material in the pocket, so that when the neck goes back in its slanted back, ever so slightly. Thats the theory of it, I've never tried it personally, I like a higher action and I haven't needed to shim. If you have any deeper questions Hambone's probly your man.

If your neck isn't bolted on you have more of a problem. You'll need to lower the bridge itself, which requires routing.

Josh D

3. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    The shim trick works quite well. I have done it quite a few times.

4. loma

loma

Sep 27, 2003
    bump

5. Like Trevorus said, what you want is a shim, or to sink the bridge into the body. Is it neck-thru or bolt on? If its BO, then its a shim, which is easy and much info can be found here

If its a NT you're out of luck unless you don't mind some permanent body mods, because you'll have to sink the bridge.

Josh D

6. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    Moving the saddle back will affect your intonation. And if your action is too low, you'll get fret buzz. Check your neck relief, you might have too much. That could be affecting the action. I have mine set to about 0.45 mm, and my G-string action @ the 12th fret is about 1.5 mm.

7. Move the saddle back - neck goes out of tune!

I can't put it simpler. Daveze is right - shimming will help with the angle of the neck. The only thing I can add is that any shim for this purpose should be narrow - 1/2" x 2 1/2" and placed in the neck pocket down towards the heel. Now, the neck angle pivots on the forward bolts and the rear bolts tighten against the shim. This raises the big end of the neck and lowers the headstock. When you replace your strings, you'll see how much lower they are to the neck and you can adjust from there. Need more shim? you can use more than one to get things right.

The BEST, most permanent alteration would be to have the neck pocket shaved into a different angle. Not too complicated for the initiated but I wouldn't attempt it at home.

8. Does anyone know where I can get some Mono-Rail II saddles for my Parker Fly bass? Last I heard, no one is making them anymore. I can't find anything online. Help! :)

Jay

9. PersonalTraynor

PersonalTraynor

Jan 14, 2011
    Lady parts, Canada
    peaveyTraynor freakazoid...
    Get a small file, and file down where the string rests on the saddle! Its so simple!
    Try it, and you will be fine neck through or no neck through!