1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mono strap bit the dust

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tuBass, Oct 27, 2013.

1. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    you would think a $55 strap would hold up longer than 18 months...

It's supposed to be under warranty... let's see if they honor it

20131027_123913.

2. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    I'm surprised your strap broke after just 18 months.
    I play several times per week and have been using the same straps for more than 10 years. One of them is a Guitar Center strap that I bought for $20 about 12 years ago.

3. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I've never had a strap break until today

4. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    E-mail the company with the pic above and a full-blown photo of the entire strap for model identification. I had a question a few months back and their response was prompt and helpful.

FWIW, I believe I have the "Betty" strap.

Riis

5. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Yeah, I heard back from them today. They asked where I bought it, and I emailed them a pdf of the amazon invoice. I'll go ahead and send them a pic of the entire strap as well. Good tip

6. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    If that material is the same material as my Mono straps, that's seriously tough/thick stuff! How did it break?

7. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I have no idea. I was playing a song at church and I had to catch it to save it from hitting the deck. I thought one of my strap locks fell apart, but that's when I saw the rip. I had to finish the song with the bass wedged against my body, but my son the drummer grabbed me a stool to finish the set

8. T-40?

You're lucky it didn't break the strap, fall to the floor, and put a hole through the stage. I would have to presume that the warranty specifically excludes use with T-40's.

And, yeah, I have one. :smug:

9. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Or break my wrist trying to catch it...

Seriously though . I've lightened mine, even with 5 strings it's under 10 pounds...

10. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    That's exactly why I'll only ever use 1/8" thick one-piece leather straps with real belt buckles for adjustment. Its hard enough to get a knife to cut through that stuff, much less a strap button!

11. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    That's the thing. These straps are at least 1/8" thick at the strap button and the material is super tough. It's similar to fire hose material.

I wasn't able to install strap locks on mine, even after attempting to cut some of the material away.

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    they are sending me a brand new strap, when I get I will compare the old one to my new one. The material on the old one is not that thick

13. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    So what kind of Mono strap was it? I'm curious because I use some of their "Betty" straps.

14. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Audio Mike Lull Custom Guitars Gallien Krueger amplification Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass Electronics
    Shocked...I used the Betty straps and they hold up very well.

15. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    It was a betty

16. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Just measured mine with a dial caliper. Just under 1/10th of an inch thick (.098)

I hope the new one they send me is thicker. Definitely the weak link in the chain

17. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Got the replacement today. It measured .084 thick at the End. Not complaining, it was nice of mono to send out one so fast and hassle free.

18. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Told ya. FWIW, I have Dunlop strap ends installed on my Betty. IIRC, I had to razor-out a bit of the keyhole so the post would slide through smoothly. Hope this one works out well.

Riis

19. Maybe you weakened it that way?

20. Rodger Bryan

Rodger Bryan Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    About 2 years ago, I had an older Betty which was coming apart at the end, but it had not cut through the stitching as yours did. Mono replaced it right away. When I inspected the new strap ends, I found the newer material to be much more resilient and pliable- the older one seemed stiff & brittle in comparison. Did you notice this as well?