1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

mono strap bit the dust

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tuBass, Oct 27, 2013.

1. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    :confused:

My strap is totally fine.

2. rolandm

rolandm In search of the lowest note.

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    I think he thought you were the OP.

And FWIW, this is why I make my own straps. Leatherworking is a life skill everyone should have. ;)

3. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    wow, really surprised to hear this about a Mono Betty strap!

4. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I don't know... seems to be exactly the same to me, except the new material is slightly thinner than the old (according the to micrometer)

5. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Totally agree. Nice wallets for cheap, custom belts, indestructible straps, it's literally easy as working a hole punch, knife and beating stuff with a hammer.

6. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I do need a new belt. Think I'll just buy a cow and start from scratch.

Riis

DirkP likes this.
  7. Stilettoprefer

Stilettoprefer

Nov 26, 2010
    Good start :D

8. rolandm

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    Mmmmmm. Cow.

9. Steak on the hoof.

10. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Is it possible to have a stampede with only one cow?

Ahh...not to worry. AMC shows back-to-back episodes of "Rawhide" on Saturday mornings....kind of a tutorial.

Edit: Now I'm just being stupid. I'm not gonna slaughter a whole cow for a belt, wallet, pair of Rockports, and 8 oz. of beef jerky.

Riis

11. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Did it feel to anyone else here like the OP was taking Mono to task on here before even consulting with them? I mean, You felt strongly enough in the brand to purchase their wares, yet when something happens you come here before contacting them to see if they would make right? To what end exactly? (Edited for a lapse in keeping info straight.)

12. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    Would you like to tell me how I modified the strap? I think somebody suffers from a lack of reading comprehension

13. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Whoops. I owe you an apology there, my bad.

14. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    No problem, and you're right, mono did the right thing and stood by their products. After examining the strap, the thin end pieces are the weak link in the setup, so if anybody has a mono strap, examine it frequently. That's the point of this thread. A replacement strap doesn't help much if your bass is broken by a fall

15. MIMike

MIMike

Jan 1, 2013
    West MI
    I think real leather provides a more secure, durable connection than a synthetic product. Even the cheap nylon straps can have a decent leather end on them. This is what I always check for. Good thing Mono stands behind their product. That's ultimately what you want when you pay good money for a quality piece of equipment.

16. rolandm

Aug 8, 2010
    Peoria, IL
    A lot of those cheap nylon straps have Jenpro or some other form of pleather on there, not actual leather. And the cut of leather makes a tremendous difference. When making a saddle, you use different parts of the hide (back, knee, shoulders, rump) etc. for different things due to the the flexibility and grain integrity of the area and the need of the saddle part. Whereas when you make "clicked" strap end pieces from a hide of leather, they're not targeting the best areas for all the pieces, so some straps end up with really good, tight-grained ends, and some end up with stretchy or loose grained ends.

17. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    did you have the original invoice/receipt?

18. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    yes. I bought it from musican's friend through amazon, so all I had to do was look up my original order, and reprint a reciept/invoice to PDF, and emailed it to mono

upon further examination... Here's something else strange... even though both straps are marked "L" for long, the old strap is at least two inches longer than the new one, even when all the way lengthened... That's a factor because I'm 6'8" and I miss the extra length. It will work, but I wish it was as long as the first one.

I may write them and let them know that there seems to be some inconsistency, but I'm not going to ask for a replacement