1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mono - Vertigo v. M80

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by buldog5151bass, Jan 20, 2017.

1. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    After 30 odd years, my Fender molded HSC is on its last legs, and I am looking at different options. This is for a jazz bass. I carry it myself to rehearsals and gigs. What is the difference between these bags, and recommendations on these or other options.

Thanks.

2. Aidil

Aidil

Dec 4, 2014
    Jkt, IDN
    I own don't own any of those two. But I own the M80 Dual Electric Bass instead and I've tried all four (Single Electric, Dual Electric, Vertigo Electric, and the Sleeve) when I bought the M80 Dual Electric Bass.

AFAIK, the M80 Single Electric Bass has more storage area than the M80 Vertigo Electric Bass, whereas the M80 Vertigo Electric Bass has thicker boot, which is good, but if I were to choose between these two, I'd go with the M80 Single Electric cause I don't think I would slam my gigbag hard that the M80 Single Electric bottom padding cannot handle and the ability to tuck-in the shoulder straps to the back pocket is very usefull as they won't get jammed when the gigbag is stored in very tight area.

3. LeonD

LeonD Supporting Member

Never owned the M80 but have had other high end bags. Have been using the Vertigo for the last few years.

Really like the top loading design. Seems to make it much easier. Plus the bag is fairly light itself so the bass + bag combination doesn't get too heavy. Not a lot of storage but you can add a Tick (which works a LOT better than I thought it would).

If something happened to mine, I'd get another the very next day.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I have a Mono M80. It is the best bag I have ever owned my a mile!

5. darkinners

darkinners

Oct 4, 2006
    I have all three M80, Vertigo and Sleeve

I like Vertigo the best.

M80 have more storage compartment if you need it, go for M80.

Sleeve is my least fav, because
    1. I have to take off gruv wrap every time I put my bass in it or the zip won't close
    2. I have to retune my bass every time I take it out.
    3. The buckle for the storage look cool but not very easy to access with single hand.

Protection and built, all three are as good.

6. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Maryland
    The Vertigo is fine if all you plan on carrying in the case is your bass/strap. Get the M80 if you plan on carrying more than that.

TonyP- and Dr. Cheese like this.
  7. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The M80 is cheaper...

8. I have M80. I love it. I feel very confident that the bass is safe.
    I bought it because of the extra storage space and that I can put my laptop in the strap storage area.
    The only catch 22 is that with the extra storage compartment full of cables and stuff, I have to take care when taking out the bass because of the extra weight where with the vertigo you cont have to open the case all the way to remove the bass.
    At the end of the day, I prefer the M80.
    Either way, both cases are amazing.

9. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've had no problem sliding a GK MB200, MB500, or Demeter Minnie into the Vertigo along with my strap, extra batteries, a small tool kit, wireless transmitter, and a truss rod tool.

10. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    The standard M80 is more of a traditional bag, has more pockets (though not necessarily that much more storage space in practice), and you can tuck the straps away when they're not being used. The Vertigo has the Boot at the bottom and the automatic Headlock system. Both are stellar bags, and will keep your bass safe. Both have mounting rings for the Tick if you need more storage. I went with the Vertigo for the Boot, not for impact protection, but because I can put the bag down with confidence in bad weather.

EDIT: Oh - and by the way - the Vertigo is also part of the M80 series :)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2017
    buldog5151bass likes this.
  11. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I've had both, as well as the dual. I prefer the Vertigo because of the boot. It's a significant design change and I'm much more assured when putting my bass down a little faster than intended that it'll be fine

buldog5151bass likes this.
  12. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    I have the Sleeve that I got for cheap, works great for what I need it for.

13. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    I like the Sleeve too, I use it when I want to travel light.

jerry likes this.
  14. redstrand

redstrand Supporting Member

May 18, 2007
    Saint Louis, MO
    Fool For Four Strings
    All I ever put in it is a bass and my lesson stuff, a strap and cord if needed. I wouldn't pay full price for it but it's a spot lighter than my HSC's

15. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    Dave that must be loaded to the max...
    (As a owner of both bags)

16. TonyP-

TonyP- Excuse me but you have your I-IV-V in my II-V-I Gold Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2003
    Boston Mass
    A-Designs Mike Lull GK Tsunami Cables GHS Strings RMI Basswitch Nordstrand Pickups Darkglass
    +1 to this...
    It's not a major difference but the M80 holds more.

17. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Indeed. I'd say it was a comfortable max though. No stress on the zipper.

I'd have the strap/wireless trasmitter down the longer on the 2 sides, the amp in the middle, truss rod tool in the interior zippered pouch, and the tool kit on top of the amp (which holds the batteries, tiny flashlight, CruzTool, ear plugs, and picks.

Fitting that into my M80 double is a little more difficult actually.

18. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    This is what goes in my Vertigo:
    IMG_2123.JPG

TonyP-, scubaduba and Rneckties31 like this.
  19. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Does the vertigo cause the finish of a bass to wear over time due to the right fit while sliding the bass in? Seems like the sides rub the bass every time you add or take out.

20. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    I have the Vertigo and it suffers from what I consider three major design flaws:

1. No storage. Honestly, it is inane how small the pouch is at the price you pay.

2. The top loading feature. On one hand it's nice, but I find my bass to always run against the zippers with this design which risks scratches to the paint. Not cool.

3. No handle on the front of the bag. It's a small complaint, but it would make a world of difference when it comes to handling the bass.

If they fixed these three things I would buy a new bag immediately.