1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Mono Vertigo vs Bass Sleeve

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BigDrew, Jul 6, 2016.

1. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Hello All!

I have been lurking for 2 or so years and this is my first post. Love the site, the knowledge here is awesome! I've been playing for about 2.5 years. I have been playing drums for most of my life. I'm in my early 40's.

Anyway....I'm torn between the Mono Vertigo and the Bass Sleeve. This bag would be mostly for going to lessons and sometimes to a rehearsal space. Is the Vertigo much bigger than the Sleeve? I've searched the forums and can't tell how much bigger it is. Is it overkill for my purposes? I don't want to buy the Sleeve just to have the buy the Vertigo later. Thanks, in advance, for the help.

2. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    If all you're doing is transporting your bass between home and lessons / rehearsals, then I think the Sleeve would be enough. At the same time a gig bag in the $40 ~ $50 range should work for your needs and allow you to keep some cash in your pocket.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
  3. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  4. mflatau

mflatau

Aug 19, 2008
    I think a big part of it is also what you are protecting. Even to take my Lakland or Cliff Bordwell bass out of my house, I use a reinforced gig bag. It just takes one time that you aren't thinking and lean the case against the car and it falls over on the concrete... However, I regularly take my CIJ Fender Jaguar around without a case at all. If it gets a little dinged up, I'm not worried about it! It sounds like you can get away with a bag like Mark is suggesting though. I currently have a Protec Contego case and my new custom CB will be in a Vertigo case.

5. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    Thanks to both of you for the info! I have some decent basses; a Select J, an MIA Geddy Lee, and an MIA P. That's why I was looking for the added protection. I'm just concerned that the Vertigo would be much bigger than the Sleeve.

6. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    I have both: Dimensionally the sleeve is actually larger, but thinner and 1 lb lighter. I personally, like the pocket on the Vertigo and M80 better because (in my personal opinion) I'm not thrilled with the whole flap thing. But ultimately, I prefer the Vertigo because I'm used to carrying my bass in my right hand with the neck facing forward. When I carry the sleeve in my right hand, the pocket brushes my leg, especially when it's packed with stuff.

If this seems to extremely nit-picky, it's because it is. I actually like both bags a lot; just the Vertigo slightly better.

You won't go wrong with either bag.

Goatrope likes this.
  7. BigDrew

BigDrew

Jun 1, 2016
    LI-NY
    That's exactly what I wanted to know. Thank you. ...now grey or black?

8. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    All of mine are black. But you're on your own for that one.

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    One thing I have learned over the years, don't skimp out on your gig bag. You spend good money on your basses....protect them!

That said, I have the Vertigo bag and it is hands down the best gig bag I have ever owned! Be it my 1972 Fender Jazz or my Fodera Monarch, I am fully confident in the protection that bag provides. The Bass Sleeve looked interesting, but it would not provide the protection of the Vertigo. Just because you are going a short distance with your bass, that doesn't mean something can't happen to it! Even my guitar player has a Vertigo for his ES335 guitar.

As a side note, I also have the Mono Double Bass Guitar Gig bag which I use when I need to bring two basses to a gig (usually my Fodera and my Roscoe fretless). Also another excellent gig bag! (No.....I am not a Mono endorser. But wish I was!)

BassMonstrum likes this.
  10. ToneMonkey

ToneMonkey

Sep 27, 2003
    Newberg, OR
    Question about the sleeve. I never use shoulder straps. Can they be snugged down so that they aren't flapping around? Removable would be better but I don't think MONO offers that on any of their cases.

I should probably add that I had a Reunion Blues Aero and hated it. The zipper on the small pocket broke within 60 days (and I hardly ever used it). Storage was way impractical and it was bulky for an alleged minimalist case. Avoid those.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  11. jcbofa

jcbofa

Apr 14, 2009
    I have both Mono ccases and a couple ProTec Contegos and echo everything already said.

Pocket system on Contego probably the best, but overall durability, protection, vertical/boot protection and headstock support makes the Vertigo my go-to.

Sleeve pocket is annoying and - biggest thing - tilted head stocks should NOT go in a Sleeve. Not enough relief/depth in the Sleeve's slimmed-down headstock system. It is a lighter case though.

Hope that helps.

12. +1. I have the Vertigo and I feel very confident with the protection it affords. I tested it by putting a bass inside, standing the bag upright, and letting it fall over onto the floor. Bass was fine. I'll probably do another test by letting it fall down a flight of stairs.

ClassicJazz likes this.
  13. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    The Mono M80 case has a pocket that can tuck the straps into.

You can snug the straps down to tighten everything up. The hanging straps never bothered me. I found myself using them a lot more than I thought I would when I first bought it.

14. PCR

PCR

Apr 11, 2008
    +1. The case was fine. The flap was a pain. It would function much better if the flap was gone. I actually thought about cutting it off.

Still a nice case though.