Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mono Vs. Stereo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Zentner, May 15, 2003.

1. Mono

47 vote(s)
    82.5%
  2. Stereo

10 vote(s)
    17.5%
  1. which do you play?
    which do you prefer?
    Why!

2. Play? My Eden WT600 is stereo capable, but I run mono bridged for gigs (mo powa!)

Prefer? Stereo capability is nice, but not really necessary.

Why? Two reasons why stereo capability is a nice option. A - if you wanted to run two cabinets and some type of stereo effect for your bass, it would sound cool. B - because if you just want to use it as a stereo power amp, you can plug a line level signal into the left and right effects return and use your bass amplifier as a stereo power amplifier.

3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Last time I checked, my bass was a mono instrument.
    So I won't bother myself going stereo.

4. alembicbones

alembicbones

Nov 10, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    Playing in stereo best suits the capabilities of the Alembic Series I electronics.

Bones

5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Most people play in dual mono, not stereo.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    Endorsing Artist: Black Diamond & SuperSensitive strings
    I use an SWR SM-400s...usually in mono bridge mode, but with a pair of 4 ohm cabs in dual mono (aka stereo).

With a pair of 8 ohm cabs, it still looks like more power running them together in bridge mode (250 watts each vs 150 each in stereo).

7. Live, I use mono. That might change when I start running more effects but in all likelihood it won't.

For recording, I use either dual mono, stereo, or mono (in that order).

8. Over the years I've run things mono, bi-amped, bridged, and dual-mono but never stereo.

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've tried futzing with stereo (two preamps in parallel: 1 clean, 1 dirty) but wasn't impressed with the result. Next gig I think I'm going to try biamping again though... haven't tried that with my Bergantino speakers.

10. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    I've been playing in stereo (with a stereo chorus, just a skosh) for many years and I'm hooked, sounds great.

11. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I hope you mean dual-mono when you refer to stereo? Or are you talking about true stereo with, for example, delays that ping-pong from left to right etc....

The thing with true stereo is that it only works if your speakers are decent distance from each other. Pay careful attention to the guitarist's face when you walk over to his side of the stage carrying a bass cab - then wait for him to start hurling abuse.

OK you win that arguement but now you've got another problem. You're stereo on stage but you're still only getting one mono line to the PA. So you politely ask the PA guy for 2 DI's, s chanels and can he please pan em left and right?

Lets say you win that arguement too. You haven't even played a note yet and everyones got the sheets with you. You start playing and you're loving it so much, you ask everyone who'll listen "do you like my stereo effects?". The unanimous reply is "are you running stereo. I didn't notice........

It's not worth it.

12. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    I prefer mono, with speakers in series. That's the way I run my Wally. Of course, it is a mono amp.

13. How 'bout Quadraphonic with some extra delay on one and a little flange on the rest?? :p

14. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    While you're at it, bring your 5.1 home theatre system to the next gig. Place one speaker on each corner of the stage, then rig it up so that each speaker only has to deal with one string.......... I'll shut up now.....

15. grey area

grey area

Sep 2, 2009
    almeria spain
    last week i split my signal using a boss ddr delay pedal with the output going to my ashdown using 4x10s and the direct going through the trace using 2x15.i had the delay knobs all counterclockwise and although i did,nt have a lot of time to fine tune everything my sound was the best i have ever had with the trace deep and chocolaty and the ashdown bright and breezy,the mix of the two was FAB.i will experement a bit more with this.is this stereo?

16. GaryM

GaryM

Jul 28, 2006
    Dundee, UK
    Not according to Wikipedia:

"Stereophonic sound, commonly called stereo, is the reproduction of sound using two or more independent audio channels through a symmetrical configuration of loudspeakers in such a way as to create the impression of sound heard from various directions, as in natural hearing."

As people have already pointed out on this thread, there's ways to have two amps feeding two speakers (bi-amping, clean / distorted, etc.) that aren't stereo.

17. I use two amps with stereo processing almost exclusively, and I love it. Stereo flanging, chorus, and/or delay adds a layer of character that doesn't shine all that often. But when it does, the effect can be pretty cool if a bit short of spectacular. Some people notice, most don't. I play for the ones who do. On a side note, the sound guys usually chuckle when I hand them two outs.

18. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Mono for me....although a number of years ago I played a bit with some stereo flange and delay...interesting ,but not overly useful for my stuff!!!:bassist:

19. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

That's cool even if YOU are the only one who notices!