1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Monoblock II for $75.00

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Barfly, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Just saw one on the classifieds.
    "Working condition, well-used, it has been repaired a few times in the 20+ years I have had it around."

Dropped the guy a line, asking what was repaired.

Anyone with experience on these, what should i look for as far as "been repaired" is concerned?

SF

2. Traynor?

3. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Yeah

4. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    Heard them raved about
    LOUD
    HEAVY
    I used one at a reggae studio for a while

5. I had one a long time ago. I played a lot of loud rock gigs with it, so I guess it's loud enough. I sold for it about $300. It was pretty good I guess so $75 is probably not a bad deal. It was really heavy because of the cast iron (or something) case. It's all solid state inside so there's nothing really heavy about the circuitry. I did have to repair it - there was a burned resistor in it and that in turn blew a speaker in my cab. I modded it some: put in higher wattage resistors, added larger heat sinks on the transistors, added a fan for cooling, and fused the speaker output. Got kind of paranoid after the blown speaker. I wish I could remember more about it, tone-wise etc., but it's been awhile.

6. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

totally worth the $75.

traynors are generally bulletproof.

the canadian peavey though unlike peavey they actually sound good. a relative term but old traynors have their own unique character.

7. Good solid amp. I'd buy it for 75 bucks. Something modern could be lighter and more powerful, but not for anywhere near that price.

8. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    There's no such thing as "Canadian Peavey" ;)

To the OP...DEFINITELY worth it, buy it or I will!!!

9. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    Like this? 66fbzn. bfnc4z.

10. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Wow, that thing even LOOKS heavy

11. SUNNyday r.

SUNNyday r.

Oct 17, 2006
    Bay Area
    It wasn't as heavy as you would think. Sort of similar to an Acoustic 370 with it's own vibe for sure. Should have kept it. To the OP, $75 is stellar as long as it is working well.

12. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    QUOTE=RevGroove;5358036]There's no such thing as "Canadian Peavey" ;)

To the OP...DEFINITELY worth it, buy it or I will!!![/QUOTE]

It's more like Canadian Fender, wouldn't you say? :)

13. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist

It's more like Canadian Fender, wouldn't you say? :)[/QUOTE]

Well...I think the PC reply would be that Traynor is in a class of it's own and unmatched in quality, tone, and superior customer service! ;)

Seriously, Fender and Peavey and the other companies out there make some fine products...but there's nothing like a Traynor amp, vintage, classic, or current!

14. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    That old Traynor is a sought after amp and many are still in regular service today. They're a very tough amp and sound pretty good. Combine it with a decent speaker cabinet and you'll have a nice rig. Even if you have to have it serviced, for $75 it's a good deal.

Traynors are called the Canadian Peavey because of their ruggedness and reliability at a fair price, but they usually do sound better than an equivalent Peavey.

15. AlunJWDavies

AlunJWDavies

Nov 28, 2007
    Ottawa
    Some are great, some are just good. Generally, they have a really ballsy sound.
    I had a 370 and used a Monoblock II a few times and preferred the Mono.
    Definitely worth it if working well and can be fixed up for not much mooulah.

16. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Well...I think the PC reply would be that Traynor is in a class of it's own and unmatched in quality, tone, and superior customer service! ;)

Seriously, Fender and Peavey and the other companies out there make some fine products...but there's nothing like a Traynor amp, vintage, classic, or current![/QUOTE]

I'll agree 100 percent, my Yorkville amps are rugged, reliable, and have a nice fat sound-even the XM50C IMHO has a fat punchy tone you usually don't hear in an amp of that size. They've certainly won me over :hyper: