monolator sound checker

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by oliebrice, Apr 7, 2003.

1. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    has anyone ever used a monolator sound checker pickup on a dbl bass? I'm thinging of buying one cheaply, but don't know much about them.
  2. oliebrice

Apr 7, 2003
    London, UK
    more web searching reveals: I think its only distributed by molonator, and made by sound checker. mean anything to any one?
  3. You can probably get along for a while with the Sound Checker, if you stick it to the bridge with it's adhesive putty, or some double-stick tape.

The Soundchecker will be too thick to install in a bridge-wing, or under a bridge-foot, since it's literally about the same thickness and diameter as a game-board checker.

You'd be much better off with a K&K Big Shot, such as they sell on ebay all the time for $27 + $7 shipping, or they currently have one that was a tradeshow display which is sitting at $21.50, so far.

Check out

If you don't want to unpocket for $87 + shipping for a Bass Max ( the Big Shot will work much better on a bass than a SoundChecker, for about the same price, especially on Ebay..

The BassMax is probably the best value in it's price-range.

You'll probably want a preamp, no matter which pickup you get, and also sells the K&K model 97 for $80 + shipping. It's an excellent preamp, and will accept an A/C adaptor.

There's a thread here somewhere that you can search for, something about "Do I really need a preamp", but I can save you some time and sum it all up for you right here... Yep.

Depending on the pickup and what you're plugging in to, you can often "get by" without one, but a preamp will almost ALWAYS make you sound at least a little better, if not be an absolute necessity.

The BassMax will get by with no preamp quite often.

Sometimes it won't, and like any piezo, it's sound will be fuller and warmer with a preamp, even on a rig that will allow you to get by with no preamp.

This isn't because you get tone control on a preamp, but because it matches the ultra-high impedance of the pickup to the reasonably-high impedance of an amp or PA system. Impedance mis-match puts sort of a thin, sharp edge on your output sound. If a bass can sound "tinny", then "tinny" would probably accurately describe the effect. It's ugly and irritating to listen to.

My guess would be that the Big Shot, and CERTAINLY a Soundchecker is likely to need a preamp badly most of the time. You might as well include a preamp in the price of a piezo pickup.