1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Monolith Magma Beta 1.0

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lowdude, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Lowdude

Lowdude

Jul 27, 2012
    hi,
    i am from austria i bought me the magma beta 1.0 Preamp in december 2011. i know about the problems with MONOLITH LOUDSPEAKER and that there not to expect any support by wade anymore. but perhaps, there are some other guys here with the same problem, which can help me to fix the magma:

i opend the magma and had to change a broken poti and solder lots of cold solder joints (it was so baddish handled overall!!), so the magma works but there is still one problem: there is this loud hum i can't eliminate. perhaps this is a problem that come up more times and someone knows what do to or you have another idea.

greetings from austria
    lowdude

p.s. sorry for my bad english ;)

2. Lowdude

Lowdude

Jul 27, 2012
  3. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
  4. Lazarus.Bird

Lazarus.Bird Mr. Personality

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    This issue with the Magmas was faulty PCBs. If you have the hum then you have the faulty PCB. Unfortunately I don't know enough about electronics to begin to tell you how to go about fixing that, but hopefully someone else chimes in.

Also, BE CAREFUL. Mine was leaking DC voltage into the line out jack and fried my power amp.

5. Mine had bad soldering, some resistors were nit even soldered at all just laying there on the board. After re-soldering the him was reduced but not eliminated. Nothing much can be done with the faulty PCBs. Also DC leakage that Lazarus spoke of made me decide not to use it.

My guess is it would cost quite a bit to have someone actually fix it and probably not worth it. Have someone confirm that it's not leaking DC voltage and if you can live with the hum it may be as good as it will get.

6. Lowdude

Lowdude

Jul 27, 2012
    hi,
    now i found the reason for this hum! i think this "problem" with the faulty PCB is a rumor which was started by Wade or someone else. i checked the PCBs, they are all ok, bad the soldering was very very bad! But the main problem was the power supply. On the PCB you can read "15V", but the Magma was fitted with a power supply that have 24V! So it's hardly surprising that the Magma bring about damage! I changed the power supply and fitted the Magma with a 15 Volt power adapter (which is additionally stabilisized or interference-suppressed) and now it sounds awesome!!!
    On the pictures you can see, that i have removed the old power supply and the "mini"-PCB and marked the points you have to solder the new power supply (i used this one http://www.conrad.biz/ce/de/product...tellbar-9V12V135V15V18V20V24V-2000-mA-48-Watt) directly on the "big"-PCB. THis is the direct way, but i installed the "power-led" and the "power-button" into the circut too, it's quite easy and self-explanatory.
    if someone has any questions i will try to help! ;)

Pic. 1) http://img5.fotos-hochladen.net/uploads/20120730045ltker4h0un.jpg

Pic. 2) http://dreami.es/cb52tcf9ta7.jpg

7. Lowdude

Lowdude

Jul 27, 2012
    hope the links works now

8. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh
    Well geez, that sheds a lot of light on some things. I'm glad you were able to fix it! At the time of the amps malfunctioning we still had some faith in Wade so I guess we took his word for granted.

This is also good news for anyone out there that still has a broken Magma.

My guess is that he originally intended to use a PCB to match the PSU he used but screwed up, and likely put in the PCB he originally intended to use on the units he fixed. No wonder voltage leaked into my PA...

9. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    Definitely good news for me!

10. where were you 3 months ago? ;):bag:

11. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    What's the cost on a new power supply?

12. Lazarus.Bird

Aug 16, 2010
    Pittsburgh

13. let us know how it goes.

Maybe someone should let Wade know :)

14. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I'm confused. Do you mean that the voltage at the pins on the opamps were at 24 volts?

The power supply was bipolar so 24 volts would make sense (+12/-12 to the opamps).

15. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I think this calls for a round of applause for Lowdude, who only took 3 days to fix the issue that ran Wade's entire business down the toilet.

16. wow they look horrible inside, i bet you could cure some of the noise problems just by improving the layout and adding shielding

17. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    +1. Whatever monkey they hired to do the wiring was being paid way too many bananas for that quality work. That's somewhat frightening.

18. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I think that's the OP's rewire. Mine is much cleaner on the inside.

19. Jason!

Jason!

Nov 14, 2008
    GR, MI
    I'll contact the tech I use today. He's an electrical engineer by day. He may still be recovering from a recent brain surgery though. I'll send him a link to this thread.

Good to know I might not have to use my Magma as a boat anchor after all.

20. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    Wow I'm sure glad I didn't buy one of these.

I wonder if he didn't CQ them enough, or didn't test out his design enough?