1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MonoNeon Fender Ad

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Nov 21, 2020.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

It is interesting that Fender got him to talk more coherently than any interviewer ever did.

2. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    Just imaging if he had a lefty body on this thing with the controls on the upper part of the body, that would be a signature bass... Thank you for sharing this, I have a better appreciation of him now. he has a voice...

andruca, handofseven and Dr. Cheese like this.
  3. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I really enjoy hearing his insights and philosophy.

4. Fender are going through a really bizarre spate of adverts at the minute as part of their new marketing strategy. These short clips featuring people doing very little playing seem to be made with Facebook in mind, so they can just about keep the attention of the viewer long enough to show the product (but not demonstrate the product).

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It’s not a bad strategy since most folks know what a Fender bass is and how it sounds.

6. From what I have seen on Facebook, the reception to these new shorts has not been particularly popular. Fender seem to be hedging their marketing strategy by showcasing the artists rather than the instrument. To me, that seems a risky strategy. They're hoping the artists they pick resonate with their audience and to a degree, they seem to have failed in that regard. Show a man a nice jazz bass, and every man who likes a jazz bass will like the advert and leave with a positive impression. Show an advert for a specific artists with a jazz bass and a large proportion of viewers will either dislike it, or even worse, be indifferent towards it.

Omega Monkey and hopwheels like this.
  7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

It's a new age. Gotta appeal to the younger cats. So grab the most visible cats and put a Fender in their hands. If MonoNeon is playing a Fender, there will be an influx of young players gravitating towards buying one.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I suspect that identifying artists and tying them to Fender will help the brand long term.

Roger W, FRoss6788, GregC and 2 others like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think that is exactly what Fender is doing. On the guitar side, Melanie Frye has a similar sort of appeal.

pacojas and PennyroyalWe like this.
  10. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    If it’s anything like R/C car racing, it’s all about the personalities. Someone wins a big race, they get signed and become the face of the brand who hired them. Since the cars change so often the driver is the constant in the equation. Now that Fender is constantly changing up their basic lineup I’m not surprised to see them focus on their spokespeople instead of their products.
    You know how it is, everybody wants to be like Mike. :D

ComeHomeShane and Dr. Cheese like this.
  11. My impression when I met him was that he is painfully shy.

12. Listening to the video, I like what they're doing here. He's an enigma as a player and people who know his work are curious about how he thinks. They're answering some obvious questions, like "what's up with the sock?" I always thought he wanted to hide the brand name because he didn't want to be seen as endorsing any brand. Talking about his self-consciousness is relatable, I sort of knew he was shy, but who among us hasn't had those moments of self doubt? If a guy that plays like that is questioning his own ability, that's kind of interesting.

So they're giving us a glimpse of this guy that we haven't seen, and associating him with their brand. I don't see the downside on this for Fender. Not everyone's going to like it, but there are lots of people out there who still think Jack Bruce was the last great bassist. This isn't meant to appeal to everyone.

13. PennyroyalWe

PennyroyalWe

Sep 2, 2018
    Oregon
    Neat video. As for the lack of demo-ing; it’s a jazz bass, is anyone expecting it to do/sound anything different from every other jazz bass? At this point, if you want sound demos, YouTube is full of them. Fender can afford the luxury of not demoing the bass very much. I think it’s kinda smart, engage people who may relate with the artist and their mentality, and hope they now associate that feeling of connection with their basses. It’s like joining a club.

14. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    It makes sense as most people purchasing do very little playing too!

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    :D

InhumanResource likes this.
  16. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dude is nothing if not original.

18. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lakewood, OH
    very talented player, i much prefer him in contexts where he isn't constantly overplaying. i saw some video of him with cory henry subbing for Sharay Reed (what a beast!). he was grooving and pocket playing (like sharay) with the occasional fill, not the constant noodling. that's when i knew this cat could really play.

bassrique likes this.
  19. 7dollarbologna

7dollarbologna Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2014
    Downtown Albuquerque
    Desert Eccentric
    I love this guy!

GH van Dijk likes this.
  20. I love his playing with Ghost-note, which is who I saw him playing live with. He can shred on the bass, but he shares that stage with AJ Brown, who is a badass funk player in his own right. You have to be able to lay down a solid groove and do more than just shred if you're going to do that kind of music with another bassist. They complemented each other really well.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 3, 2020