1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Monopoly...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ChrisQuinn91, Jun 8, 2018.

1. SactoBass

SactoBass I like all-tube amps! Supporting Member

Jul 8, 2009
    Sacramento CA
    +1 :thumbsup:

2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016

Wisebass and 40Hz like this.
  3. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Chris:)

Bad situation! Apart from getting friends with that booking agent, there is not a lot that you can do. :(

Sooner or later folks will be bored and venues will loose money.
    But! Don 't just sit it out! Create new contacts out of town!

Good idea! But rather than making it a "rant club" :crying: against that agent, I would try to organize local festivals and events with these remaining artists and bands! :hyper::hyper::hyper:
    That' s more fun. And you can keep your fan base,
    without stepping on someone' s feet!

Yes go to Liverpool! Big careers start in Liverpool! :hyper:

And when that agent follows you to Liverpool?

Leave for Hamburg!!!! :laugh: It' s a long way to the top…

(oh no! These were from Down Under :wacky:)

Heads up buddy

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

Mr_Moo likes this.
  4. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    :thumbsup:..... but wrong pic spidey! :laugh:

neversurrender.

Wise

Spidey2112 likes this.
  5. BlueShox

BlueShox Registered Turtle Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2007
    Lexington, SC
    You guys invest in a small-ish PA if you don't already have one. Now you can book yourselves pretty much anywhere. There's only a handful of venues in my town, owning our own PA gave us a ton of flexibility in where we could play and who we could play with. Sometimes we'll book a 3-4 band show at a coffee shop or bar that normally wouldn't have live music. We get to choose which bands come with us, there is normally a good turn-out because people are so desperate for a change of scenery, and since we act as the booking agent we always give ourselves a larger cut for booking and providing PA support.

BeauZooka likes this.
  6. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    Not a day goes by I don't worry about you.

7. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    I had a situation where a sax player had sewn up a venue. I started offering him gigs and he rejected them all due to not enough dollars. In fact, his emails were rather terse such as "Not enough $$" -- yet the pay was in line with what other top players were accepting. I stopped trying to make friends with that guy as a result. Now you've got me thinking he needs some stronger encouragement....

8. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    You're assuming she offered them a deal, other than taking it off their hands. From one of the OP's posts, she charges the band 15% (I believe) off the top of what the house pays!
    How are you going to offer a venue a better deal than having to do nothing?
    That's what you are up against with this model. It's FREE for the venue.

OK.. to short circuit this conversation.. I KNOW.. because I did the same thing as she did with 6 local venues for a while (15 yrs ago). Only I didn't lock other bands out.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
  9. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Really good info. I play with a group that hosts an open-mic on most Fridays at a small brew-pub and they recently had an ASCAP visitation. It throws a real monkey wrench in the works. No idea who would have turned them in for it as it is a small place but they are not too happy.

10. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    AFAIK - ASCAP targets specific areas every other year.. They look for ANY venue that has opened it's doors since their last visit, and visit the ones still open since their last.
    They have no favs.. and it's not just the "music" public performance licenses they go after..

Rip Van Dan likes this.
  11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    I need good people like you worrying about me! :D

EddiePlaysBass likes this.
  12. Raw N Low

Raw N Low If I can't hear it, hopefully I'll feel it Supporting Member

Jul 16, 2009
    Denver, Colorado
    Man reading this gives me the willy's. Right now our female vocalist is trying to build connections here in Denver but, unless you got a lot standing behind you, it's tough to get on the scene. Denver used to have a union of musicians who would promote themselves and really promote established and up and coming musicians.

Now it's getting like Austin, TX and the live scene is being treated like a commercial act. If you don't have the look, the vibe, and the style of music they are looking for, you don't get booked. That only leaves some of the bars, restaurants, and unconventional venues for other bands to play in. Open mics get filled up fast with hopes of getting in good.

Makes me yearn for the days of the healthy underground scene. It's getting tough out there.

I've never dealt with getting black balled, but I constantly caution our band about our reputation and quality of music. I once had my drummer tell me not to worry about the quality of a paid gig. He viewed it as a stepping stone to another paid corporate gig. Attitudes like that make me nervous and aren't healthy. If I were the BL, I would have fired him for the comment and for being the drummer.

13. InhumanResource

InhumanResource

Dec 28, 2012
    Gotta adapt, right? Be creative and put together a better deal for the customer.

lfmn16 likes this.
  14. tradernick

tradernick

Mar 19, 2008
    This whole thing is based on the premise that the 'past bad experience' with this agent can't be put right. Maybe some perspective on this would help? Can you give us any details? Is it really not fixable? Is her hated ex-boyfriend your drummer?

15. nilorius

nilorius

Oct 27, 2016
    Latvia
    You could cnange the person right now and start it ower!!

16. Take heart. Fortunately, the agents haven't completely taken over Denver/Metro. I do all the booking for my band, and in the past three years I've only gotten a handful of gigs from the so-called "agencies." Most of these agencies are run in a pretty amateurish way, almost like a hobby.

I've hustled all the rest of our gigs, and we average around 3-4 paid shows a month (and could probably do more if my band members had more availability). Many venue owners and managers are wise to the "agencies" and still prefer to deal directly with the band and its management.

And the agencies aren't getting any better pay for the band than dealing with the venue direct. There are a few nice rooms that I can't get my band into because they're locked up by a talent buyer, but that is completely offset by the substantial number of venues and events (public and private) in which I can.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    Raw N Low likes this.
  17. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Boy, this really sucks. Just asking, what sort of issues have you had with this booking agent? Did she steal from you?

18. dbsfgyd1

dbsfgyd1 Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2012
    Richmond , Va
    Speaking about sending the goons, how about the local musician’s union? Back in the 70’s we were at a gig and this rather large imposing figure approached us and “encouraged” us to report to the local’s office at 9:00am the next morning or consider us out of business, or become very unhealthy, our choice. At 9:00 the next morning the 8 of us were shaken down for $140 a piece which in today’s dollars equates to about $750. As we coughed it up, we were told that renewals were due in 12 months, and we really didn’t want to see “ Vito” again in the case of non payment.

19. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    @ChrisQuinn91 Not exactly in your situation but we went through similar. Patience will be your friend.

We have a "house gig" but also "free book" other days. We had gotten into a local chain that rotated us between their 3 of 5 locations in this area with once per month at each location = 3 more gigs per month. This had occurred due to the owner having us at another venue he owned that he did very well with us there. The "chain" got a new accountant and immediately all of the better paid bands(us included) got canned. In roll the low or no pay bands, some good and some really not good. 6 months later our BL is getting a text from the owner to call or email him ASAP about re-booking his place.

Good luck. IMO you're either gonna have to make a "deal with the devil"(manager woman) or wait until the venues see what $$$$ they are losing.

PauFerro likes this.
  20. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    Lots of replies containing good advice in this thread.
    Try some of the strategies. Heck, try 'em all.

Then make the phone call to Bricktop. :meh: