1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Monopoly...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ChrisQuinn91, Jun 8, 2018.

1. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    sounds like you are dealing with the public face of the local protection racket. Before i got too aggressive with the booker or club owners, i’d make sure i was not walking into unplanned dental or facial surgery.

Wisebass, Cliff Colton and Spidey2112 like this.
  2. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Nothing surprises me, anymore...

... sad... I used to love them.

3. DavC

DavC Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Tallmadge , Ohio
    my old bands would draw our crowd out of town ... leaving less folks for those other venues ..!?!!

join her , get over it ( whatever issue you have ) and work ... or

get used to playing out of town ...

as bad as bands that talk a club into making them house band for quite a while ..!! then they get bored and go screw up everyone's gigs at another club ... agents do the same crap ... sadly the only way to beat the agent is to undercut the other bands price and pack the place ..!!

4. BOOG

BOOG Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Cleveland, Ohio
    CBGB

Cliff Colton and instrumentalist like this.
  5. To our American cousins your ten miles is more like ten feet.

6. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    That's a tough situation. First, I'd try to reason with her. Then, I'd start paying attention to the tide tables for the Thames. Just saying...

7. Have you tried offering 30 quid?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2018
  8. Have you tried boycotting her face soap manufacturer?

9. Have you tried sending her a bouquet of flowers with a note that reads: “Sorry for the misunderstanding, let’s talk”?

10. EddiePlaysBass

EddiePlaysBass

Feb 26, 2009
    Belgium
    Subbed

11. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    My BL is a booking agent. I guess I'm safe...for the time being...:D

PauFerro likes this.
  12. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    USA
    I would likely go the undercut route. A venue working with both an agent and a band is going to pay more then just working directly with a band. I think alot of local venues in my area must realize this, and we don't tend to get booked through an agent. We are working with venue managers/owners directly. If you can find out the ballpark of what these bands are getting paid and offer the venue something 15% under that, you might get an in at a couple of places. Just an idea.

13. Ekulati

Ekulati

Jan 2, 2016
    Richmond, VA
    OP would be checking tides for the Mersey, not the Thames.

Wisebass likes this.
  14. Tide levels would probably be the same. I don’t think he’d notice.

15. rmayer

rmayer Supporting Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Boynton Beach, FL
    Ahh, as in Ferry Cross... Looked at it quickly, thought it said London. My bad.

Ekulati likes this.
  16. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Know about that, even people who know the area don't know all of the areas around there. Just saying "Liverpool" is also far easier than saying Merseyside, even in the UK.

All I can say is "Go'ead La".

Either that or change your band name to "The Pies".

17. Aw hell. I thought this was about Moneybags, thimbles and Park Avenue :(

This really sucks. Found myself in a similar situation. Well...one of the more iconic venues in our city, and the drummer in the band I was in at the time (a real comedian, I tells ya) decided what the hey, I'm gonna bust a deuce in the urinal.

That still haunts me to this day. 5 years later it's still brought up.

18. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Yeah, nothing like trying to undercut other bands on the circuit. That will go over well.. NOT !
    Word goes out and you hurt every other bands income in doing so, right? Most venues using a "booking agent" won't entertain separate talks with an [unknown] band and will route you directly to the agent. Even known bands will get routed there. They are probably not interested in "free" either. I'm saying this because I've been on both ends of this situation -band and agent!
    No harm in trying, but IME it's a waste of time. You have ride it out until it falls apart (which it will) or play elsewhere.

19. PauFerro

PauFerro

Jun 8, 2008
    United States
    Not sure how well that will work. Looks a bit like sucking up rather than the kind of firmer business planning needed. Flowers is for when there is a relationship of some kind, I think, and it doesn't sound much like a relationship. Also depends on how narcissistic she is. Now that I understand the narcissistic personality, I realize just how widespread the tendency is -- and some of these narcissistic types tend to REVEL in not responding to people who want something from them. Anyway, personality aside, I think you'd be wasting your money on flowers. I would opt for something that makes her realize you've got the smarts to hit her in the pocket book unless she plays ball. She is obviously a smart business type, and there is respect found in creating practical reasons people should play ball with you.

20. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    If you are trying to initiate business discussions with her, flowers also might just #$&&$#@ her off. Go professional.

s0c9 likes this.