1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Monopoly...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by ChrisQuinn91, Jun 8, 2018.

1. Plan B: Send her flowers with a note reading: ‘From, You know who!’ Then call her about 10 minutes after delivery.

Don’t forget to pick the flowers from her garden.

2. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Right! :thumbsup: I would never undercut prices. You don't make friends with other bands doing that!

And in the end we all have to accept "pay to play" and undercut each others prices for t shirts?

The venue owners and agents will be happy! :crying:

Yes we will still need agents, because someone who plays for free or who pays to play,
    will never be taken serious enough to make business! :(

just my thoughts

Wise(b)ass

s0c9 and Seanto like this.
  3. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    You won't have to actually undercut the band, you are removing the agent from the equation. The band has the same take home as the band who booked through the agent, but the venue doesn't have to cover the agent finders fee. I'm not sure how you are extrapolating this to pay to play. Also what you get paid by the venue is between you and them, other bands aren't privy to that information. But i appreciate your input.

Wisebass likes this.
  4. s0c9

s0c9 Supporting Member

Jan 9, 2014
    Ft.Worth/Dallas
    1964 Audio artist, Fractal Audio Beta Tester
    Sadly, in my experience it doesn't work that way. Most venues I've worked with pay a fixed rate for bands. While they use a booking agent, the deal is that all bands go thru the agent and they will not entertain a band saying we'll undercut the agent, save you 15%, etc.
    Word goes out to other bands if the venue does that. It's not good for anyone.
    Add I said in an earlier post. I've been on both sides of this.

Wisebass and Seanto like this.
  5. Seanto

Seanto

Dec 29, 2005
    RVA
    All good, i agree this option isn't to be used in every scenario.

s0c9 likes this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi Seanto :)

I get your point. I always prefered getting gigs without a third person involved for that reason.

But the reason why clubowners deal with agents is very simple: They can get five bands for five dates,

with only one phone call or mail. Without the agent? The venue will get x telephone calls from bands,

that ask if they can play, but don 't know when they have the time to! :banghead:

(and send a crappy cellphone video, when asked for a demo :crying:) and… and... and…

So, when a venue or club owner prefers to deal rather with one agent, than with x bands?

I can understand that.

Also a club owner doesn 't care for agent fees. He or she will pay x $, £ or whatever,

to have a band, with or without agent. (he won' t pay the agent, the band will :()

When you play for less than other bands ask, they will know! (don 't be naive ;))

As soon as they negotiate their price, the club owner will tell them:

"I had this famous band from… "Joe Cheap & The Pricekillers" :D last month….

I won 't pay you more than that!"

A lot of bands are desperate enough to play for free just to get a gig in "that famous venue".
    A sad reality these days! :(

Playing live and making money was never easy.

But I have been recently in bars and clubs, where I played in the 80s...

They still ask the same price at the door, when you come to see a band!
    (and the bands still play for the door :banghead:)

The drinks? The price has doubled! The food? ….:crying:

Nothing beats a good rant! :laugh:

Appreciate yours too! :thumbsup:

greetings

Wise(b)ass

s0c9, Seanto and Spidey2112 like this.
  7. Just got back from holiday so haven't been online for a little way. Cheers for all the suggestions. We are booked up until the end of the year so I think we'll ride it out and just see what happens.

A few people have asked what problem we have with the booking agent. Basically, our lead singer used to use her for solo bookings. She wasn't getting enough gigs in so he started booking his own. This annoyed her so she won't deal with us at all. Silly really. She wasn't doing her job well enough so can't complain.

It shouldn't affect our band as it's a completely different offering from his solo stuff.

8. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Obviously this person has a strategy - you deal with her or not at all.