1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Monorail Bridge on Ibanez Prestige 5006

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modulus1906, Mar 24, 2013.

1. Modulus1906

Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    Can anybody tell me whether this monorail bridge is made from solid brass or some "other" material? I called Ibanez support and the individual I spoke to didn't know (this kinda surprised me) and would research and call me back. No call back, so I thought I would ask here.

I recently replace a diecast zinc bridge on a Korean-made Spector with a custom Hipshot brass bridge, and the difference in tone was astounding. Much more clarity, volume, bottom end, throaty growl, you name it. Thanks

2. Digital Man

Digital Man

Feb 20, 2013
    My Ibby seems to have aluminium bridge.

3. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    Present Monorail II (independent monobridge saddles on Ibanez
    "non-Premium" Btbs) can be from satin/chrome steel to eventually brass on limited editions (2010's Btb 780)

Present Monorail IV (independent monobridge saddles on both Premium/Prestige Btbs/Soundgears) can be from aluminum to brass

Mine were just like that

Cheers,
    Wallace

4. Modulus1906

Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    I heard back from Ibanez support who contacted Ibanez in Japan. I'm told that the monorail bridge on the SR5006 Prestige is zinc. I was hoping it was brass. I took one of the rails off the bass out of curiosity to look at how the routing was done in the bass body, and was surprised at how heavy one bridge piece is. Still, I was hoping for brass and am pondering a custom Hipshot, but I'm not sure Hipshot will do it.

5. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    I never bonded with my 5006, but it was more due to the preamp and the overall feel of the instrument than the bridge. I thought the sustain from the bass and the bridge was fine.

6. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

Why do you absolutely want brass if you can't make the difference by yourself?

7. Wallace320

Wallace320 Commercial User

Mar 19, 2012
    Milan, Italy
    I really think we all can get picky that way

Cheers,
    Wallace

8. Modulus1906

Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    The "it's all in your fingers" argument is a bit old actually. Bass builders choose various, different materials because they sound different. Bottom line.

9. Modulus1906

Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    It's not about being picky or sustain. It's about tone, and the day and night difference I heard when I replaced the zinc bridge on my Spector with a brass one. Who knows whether the difference would be as drastic on the sr5006, but I heard a big enough improvement for it to warrant looking into it. Do you think Ken Smith, Sadowsky, F Bass and other reputable builders are just being picky when they favor brass bridges over other materials. Odd how we think we know more than they do without ever having built a bass in most cases.

10. Modulus1906

Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    Agreed, the stock preamp on this bass is terrible as far as I'm concerned and I already have a mike pope waiting to go into it.
    However, the build quality of this bass is really solid. No issues with the feel personally, except that I'm a satin/gloss finish person myself, and this bass with eventually get one of those.