1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Monorail Bridge Rail Replacements

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by riverasampayo, Apr 13, 2015.

1. riverasampayo

riverasampayo

Mar 23, 2014
    Hi,

I recently acquired a used Ibanez BTB676. As expected, It is not brand new (some minor scratches here and there). One of the most relevant issues (for me) is the condition of the monorail bridges (tuning machine are not much different but I can live with it). Its finish is somehow deteriorated (the specs for the material are unknown for me but the fact that it is a 2BB1MR2K-Mono-Rail II Bridge, Color = Cosmo Black, which is actually something like a flat metallic finish).

The units are sold separately @ ~ $26 USD... not bad. I don't know if replacement is due (I mean, the bass tone is outstanding as per my limited sound color palette). If so, I would like to change to a black finish... Does anybody know if there are black replacement units for these Rails?

Thanks in advance!

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Well, I would think almost any replacement rail bridge would work, as long as it isn't too wide - though you may have to plug old holes and drill new ones. Not sure if there are any monorail hole pattern "standards" like there are (somewhat) for other bridges.

3. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    The newer monorail system from Ibanez is different to this one, so make sure you check the model listed on the ibanez site for your bass.

Sometimes you find these going on eBay from people who are replacing theirs, otherwise you should be able to order them from an Ibanez dealer.

There are some cheaper copies on eBay from Chinese suppliers, they do not claim to be Ibanez, they are simply cheaper versions of that style, but blatant copies. I've tried them, they're not as good quality wise, ended up getting some legit Ibanez ones. These non-Ibanez parts come in jet black. But it is a thin layer of paint and will come off over time.

The older versions of these bridges are known to corrode, although I thought this issue had been corrected prior to the cosmo black colour coming in. Its more of an aesthetic thing than anything else. If you can get some bridge pieces cheap then there's no real harm in replacing them and keeping the corroded ones as a backup, or maybe seeing if they can be cleaned up.

Its possible Gotoh do some replacements - sure I've seen monorail bridge parts with their name on in a local shop a while back.

4. riverasampayo

riverasampayo

Mar 23, 2014
    Thanks bholder,

nevertheless, I would really replace the rails for with a like-like (same spec + color) unit before getting a drill even near the instrument.

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Yeah, exact fit might be tough unless they're still made - I don't know if the design has changed - you might still be able to get exact replacements from Ibanez - or maybe search the existing monorail bridge types and see if you can spot a match (Ibanez doesn't necessarily make the hw). Or look for a used set online (ebay reverb craigslist etc.). I'd start with an email to the Ibanez USA site service email contact, and some google searches.

6. MothBox

MothBox

Oct 25, 2010
    You can still buy Monorail 2 bridge parts from Ibanez.

Checkout "IBANEZ RULES!!" - Ibanez Guitars - New and Used

I was recommended this guy when I was looking for replacement bridge parts - ended up getting some cosmo-black monorail 2 parts on ebay instead, but email Rich at Ibanez Rules if your stuck for getting your hands on them.

The BTB Standard range is still produced with the monorail 2, so parts should be available from Ibanez.

bholder likes this.
  7. riverasampayo

riverasampayo

Mar 23, 2014
    Thx a lot Mothbox,

Ibanez is selling these still.

Regards!

8. Bobster

Bobster

Mar 27, 2006
    Austin, TX
    You could have the current monorail bridge anodized. Also, Drums Etc. | The Drummer's & Guitarist's Pro Shop handles Ibanez parts. I've bought from them and will recommend them.

As to replacement monorails, if your bass is like mine, the monorails don't sit flush, but are set about 1/4" into the body and I don't think you will find an exact fit.

All the best,

Bob

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
  9. gpx1200

gpx1200

Apr 24, 2013
    spencer mass
    I was thinking of replacing the ones in my sr1800 with the hipshot version that has a string threw body option but I have not looked into weather or not they fit yet but I think theyd be an upgrade

10. Picked up a set of similar units on evilBay for less than $30 for a five string once. Not identical to what Ibanez uses, but identical to the Peavey they were going on.

11. I have been researching and shopping for that exact model/part number. What I have gleaned is that there are only two models of the Ibanez monorail bridge that are still for sale. Everything else I have tried to find is discontinued.

Of the two monorail bridges still for sale one just happens to be the part number you are looking for (hooray). The problem is (and you may not like this) that the part is a metallic finish like you said. It is listed as black but it is far from black in my mind. It is so far from actual black that, after much soul searching, I think I have decided to go with an off brand replacement so that I can get the black that I want. I am now researching other sources to find both quality and color. That has turned out to be more trouble than it may be worth but I haven't given up yet.