Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

monster bass cables

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by tyburn, Dec 12, 2000.

1. what does anyone think of the prolink monster bass cables,, r they worth the money ?

2. to be honest with u i'm not sure,, i did a search and was your opinions. i have the cahance to get one off my bro for christmas,, ( i bought him and effects peadl for the G word) and he said he'd get me one of these

now i've decided that they may not be worth it,, i'm gonna switch between straight into the amp and into a 708 and other effects so the signal will be disrupted by this,, and i'm not gonna get another

what about using george L's .225 and there conectors and buying more cable to produce two cables ??

3. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I have a Monster instrument cable that I use for bass. It's not the "Bass" model, but I really don't think that matters (I personally can't hear any difference between their cable varieties; I think it's a marketing scam). Monster cables are well put together, though - mine has held up very well over time.

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I use digiflex broadcast cable, they have a lifetime warranty, and they are about ½ the price of monster cable. They have neutrick connectors and canari wire. I don't think you would see any difference in the sound between digiflex and monster.

5. Stangg

Stangg Guest

Well, I think they're useless. Sure, not any cable can sound great, but you can use a fender, acc, etc. and get great sound. and even if they wear out, it still won't cost as much as a monster. get a regular cable, don't waste your money.

6. Stangg

Stangg Guest

monsters are good, i'm just saying they're a waste of $$$

7. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    In most situations, you can't tell the difference between cables. But, when recording or using a high-quality rig in a very intimate setting, cables can become a factor. I recorded a couple of years ago with Monster Cables for the first time and was amazed at how much better my bass sounded. Once I started playing through a fairly nice rig, I noticed a difference too. The sound has more clarity in the top end, is less muddy, and is more defined. I would definitely recommend them.

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

"Bass" and "Speaker" cables do make a difference and are worth the money.

Have you seen that P.O.S. that comes with an Ampeg B15-R?
    I wouldn't use that thing to lace my sneaks :mad: .
    I hope it was just a last minute switch at the music store.
    I put a 3' Monster "Speaker" cable between the head and the cab and Dang!
    Now that's what a fliptop should sound like :D .

9. i've worked that out now,, but what does anyone think of the george L cables?? and opinions

i live in egland and we're not exactly over run with options when it comes to cables,, i've got my bass in the overwater here in carlisle and when it comes back i want a quality cable so that all the money i've spent on pu and getting it fret dressed is worth it,, i know i need anew cable because the one i have ,, cost about £20 or 30 ish $
    is ****

so what about the george l's as a viable option,, like i said i'm not gonna buy two monster 12 foot cables to run in and out of my effects board so thats why i thought about using custom lenghs of george l's

what combination of gauge cable and 1/4" jacks should i use

10. I honestly cant really hear a HUGE difference with monster cables and regular ones, but i do have to say that there is a slight difference. Also, they are very very well put together. If you unscrew the cap, you can see that it has an extreamly good sheilding job, and protection from the cable breaking. It is my only cable i have not broken. all my other cables are horizon cables. Even had a horizon cable crap out at a gig, very messy. i currently have 4 horizon cables that i snapped the "main" wire, and have to re-cut, and re-sodder so i can use them again. and then there is one more horizon cable that i have to re-cut and re-wire, cause the ground wire keeps isolating the "main". i figure, its crap that you gotta pay $20 more, but if thats what you gotta pay for a cable that wont break, and if it does, EVER, you bring it back to where you got it, and they give you a new one. I think thats pretty simple, much easyer than having to keep re-soddering them, and then slowly your cable leight keeps getting shorter and shorter.