1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Monster cable for upright bass

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by jeffhofmann, Jun 13, 2007.

1. jeffhofmann

jeffhofmann

Mar 5, 2005
    virginia
    Any suggestions on good, lon-lasting cable for doublebass?
    Monster cable? acoustic or bass?
    Other?
    Help.

Thanks,

Jeff

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    Jeff,
    If you do a search you will find a thread that discusses Hi End Cables vs less expensive models. Many of the TB techies feel that a lot of the high end stuff is over rated. Personally, I use Zolla cables but they are expensive. I had some trouble with Monster Cables and the input jack of the Realist. That may not be a problem for you, depending on what type of pickup you have.

Ric

Hopefully DURB will jump in here.

3. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    I find the best thing to make cables last regardless of brand is to simply look after them. Nearly everyone I've seen wind a cable just balls it up and throws it in a bag or a box. Then when it comes to taking them back out of the box their all knotted together. So your tugging on them pulling them around trying to free them up again. They get all kinked the connectors start go dodgy and so on.

I always loop my cables into a nice circle in my hand (not around my forearm) and if they are going into a box with a good few cables, I'll stick a piece of insulating tape around it to keep it wound up and separate from other cables (there are other things you can use to do this).[edit :I might also add the whole tying the cable around itself to make a knot once its wound is also a disastrous idea] Looking after cables is probably the clincher in making them last.

Here is a link showing proper cable wrapping techniques.

4. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard Commercial User

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    Black Dog Bass Works
    Over on the Smith forum Ken said the Monster jacks have also caused problems on his slabs. He recommends George L.

5. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1. Long ago I played with a touring band that needed a sub. I helped out at the end while chatting with the players. One of the guys saw how I was rolling a cable, and said: "You have obviously never been in a touring band before."

Touche, lesson learned, never forgotten.

Since people have different ways, another lesson I read somewhere, was always to ask how a band rolls their cables before pitching in.

6. tornadobass

tornadobass Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Iowa City, Iowa
    I used a standard Monster cable for awhile. Then I tried with my A/B box it the plugs nearly wrecked the jacks by getting hung up on something. No other plug I've used has ever done that.

Originally, it was a 21' cable. Now it's a pair of 10.5' cables with a Neutrik 1/4" straight plug on one end and a 1/4" right angle plug on the other end. Works much better and 21' is too long for good sound with a passive instrument anyhow. At least the cable has held up!

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Only to point us right back here. :)

8. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    I've been happy w/ George L's too.

9. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Much of the discussion over at the other thread has been in my mind academic.
    I'll repeat what I think is the best advice regarding cables:
    Buy Switchcraft or [SIZE=-1]Neutrik [/SIZE]ends, learn to solder and build yer own.

10. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    I think that's one of the messages of the other thread.

11. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Solder? :)

12. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    George L's low capacitance was touched on over thar too.

I can hear the difference between that and two soup cans and a string and ... Oh never mind. :)

Maybe kinda like what tornader said, I have heard a friend of mine comment about the jacks on his high fallutin' Monster cable being being slightly oversized apparently. He said that once upon a time it actually hosed up the input jack on a nice @ssed Gibson Herb Ellis ES-165 of his.

13. Touch

Touch

Aug 7, 2002
    Boulder, CO
    Bayou Cables have gotten a lot of good press over on the slab side of TB.

I ordered a couple and they are well constructed, low capacitance cables with crimped, not soldered connections.

www.bayoucables.com

14. Michael Eisenman

Michael Eisenman Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2006
    Eugene, Oregon
    So that's why my friend's Monster cable wouldn't go into my Contra. I'd never had that problem with my cables.

15. DrChill

DrChill

Jan 30, 2007
    New Braunfels, TX
    I can dig that Mr. JBonny. Can you recommend a good source for cable? I am having a helluva time finding quality instrument cable in bulk.

Also, if anyone is looking for plugs Mouser has Pomona plugs for cheeep. I've never had any problem with Pomona.

$2 plugs (16 AWG) Heavy Duty

$1 plugs (18 AWG) Normal Duty

16. drurb

Apr 17, 2004
    ...and the folks at Mouser are great!

17. bolo

bolo

May 29, 2005
    Apex, NC
    Er ... Do I dare mention it again?
    And maybe here too

18. hey guys,

i have used a monster studio 1000 10 ft cable for my upright to my AI coda III with zero problems. i also did an a/b comparison with my 20 ft monster 500 cable (for my slab) and found the difference significant.

i have tried many cables but always choose monster purely based on tone.

plus they have repaired 4 cables so far for free!

YMMV,

simon

19. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Last time I bought cable I got it from a local pro audio/backline rentals company that isn't really in the business of retailing this kinda stuff but has rolls in stock for their own needs. I think I paid around .40 or .50 a foot three or four years ago. I dunno if you have anything similar close by or if they'll sell you any but they can certainly make a recommendation on who to get it from in your local.

The stuff I got was Canare GS-6. It's well made, medium priced and has a tough jacket that stands up nicely to long term live use.

jeff

and Mr. Bonny is my dad, ok? :)

20. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Parts Express has instrument cable by the foot. I use the ProCo but the "Dayton" brand seems to be of the same construction. I don't need the 100% shield coverage, so I go with the skinny stuff. Parts Express also sells the plugs. I prefer Switchcraft 280, but only due to 30 years of loyalty. The clutch style cable clamp of the Neutrik plugs is probably better, but I haven't tried one.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 19, 2021