Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Monster Cable Gauge?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Aug 7, 2005.

1. Not sure if this is the right forum, but its close enough!

Anyone know the gauge of the Monster Cable "Studio Pro 1000 Speaker Cable" s ?

Just curiosity beconing, i googled it and had one unofficial page saying it is 14 gauge, i thought they would have used at least 12 gauge, anyway, cheers guys :D

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I'm not sure, I have some monster cable that I use (pro1000) to make instrument cables and I believe it is around a 14 guage, but I have custom 10 guage cable I use to make customer's custom length Speakon speaker cables. Its actually the old Carver purple and silver cable they quit making. I just have a bulk of it because I think its the best!

If your looking to make speaker cables, I wouldn't suggest going over 12 guage unless your not pushing much power.

3. Just in case you are looking to get speaker cable, here's an amazing company. Their website is a little difficult to work through, but they make very high quality speaker and instrument cable in many lengths for a very good price. I have a number of their 3' speakon to speakon and also speakon to 1/4" speaker cables, and they are the best I've had. The use either 14 or 12 gauge wire, whatever you want. They ship within a couple of days of the order. If you want other lengths or gauges, just call them up. Amazing, high quality cables at a very good price.

www.best-tronics.com

If that link doesn't work, feel free to PM me

4. great looking stuff and prices too. i've bookmarked that puppy. thanks! :bassist:

5. Yeah, im looking at getting a couple new ones because i dont trust the generic one i have atm, seems way too thin, ill be pushing 450-700 watts SS or 300 watt all tube, so i'd like something with a thicker gauge
    I would have thought monster cables were a thicker gauge, especially at the price they charge for them.

thanks for the link KJung, ill check them out, i dont know if me being in the UK will be a problem tho

6. Didn't realize you are in the UK. They are great, and yes the number is the guage (very confusing product descriptors, etc. IMO). There will be a picture of the product though, so you are sure to get the correct one.

The Monster cables are great also. However, if they can ship cheaply, I'd highly recommend these. They might do international sales, etc.

7. they do ship internationally, you just gotta ask what it'll be, which i did, and ive had 2 or 3 emails back saying so n so is out of the office, they all seem to be on holiday :p

what i dont get about monster cables is the fact they are just 14 gauge and yet so expensive!

8. lopsy_lu

lopsy_lu

Feb 15, 2005
    Scotland, UK.
    thanks for the link KJung, I'm thinking of ordering some asap... I think my incoming Ashdown rig could do with it :)

9. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

10. It's called hype. ;)

In Monster's case, it certainly isn't engineering.

All the same, 14 AWG is perfectly good for almost any conceiveable bass amp situation. Regular household 14 AWG cable is good for 20A or more and has a resistivity of .002 Ohms per foot. You'd want heavier gauge wire if you were doing long runs (50 feet or more) or transmitting huge amounts of power. For perspective, 20A into an 8 Ohm load is 3200W....

11. I want 12 gauge for the fact its thicker aswell, i'd be less likely to damage it, and there is nothing wrong with headoom-ala-cable :)

Thanks for the link BurningSkies, ill check them out too, it'll probably come down to which is cheaper to send, seeing they are more or less the same cost wise